Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Why I plant trees and corn

dbltree

Super Moderator
Most of you may have already seen this
(page all the way to the bottom)
http://www.iowadnr.com/law/district6.html

This is the reason I plant corn as my main food plot and shrubs and trees all around my property border. I know this subject has been discussed but this type of thing is getting worse instead of better. If you have any possible way that anyone can shoot from the road...look out!
They arrested this guy with 13 heads!! How many more had he already sold? Just down the road from my place they just found another deer with it's head cut off. Laying right next to the road and within sight of a house!!
How discouraging to know that I let literally dozens of bucks walk by me each fall, only to have them slaughtered by a poacher!! If your a landowner I strongly encourage you to think over your property layout, foodplots etc. so that you make it as difficult as possible for this kind of thing to happen. I use corn in a hidden field, switchgrass in my open fields and the thickest shrubs and trees I can find around my perimeter...and I'm open to any other ideas!!

Phewww!!! I went to the DNR link before reading the rest of your post. For a minute, I thought you were going to say you were his Iowa contact and set him up. Glad you didn't know him and glad he got busted!

grin.gif
grin.gif
That's why I mentioned to page down to the bottom of the article...where the guy from Davis County got busted for poaching...although the first story is pretty disgusting also!
shocked.gif

Lot's of posts about what to plant and why. It's a shame we have to form our "planting plan" around poacher problems, but it seems to be a fact of life in these parts.

Did anyone pick up on what part of Appannoose county he was poaching? I assume Centerville was on the header because it is the county seat but couldn't tell for sure...Knowing my luck, it was probably on my land! Found a couple of headless deer there a few years back but not in recent years - definitely need to get some screening plantings done since one of my fields is in plain sight of the road (the very reason I don't plant food plots there).

Top Bottom