Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

why the snort

buckwheat

i am 14 and i have always wondered if when a deer snorts it means there is something wrong then why would you use it while hunting?

Buckwheat,
There is a difference between a snort wheeze and deer blowing in alarm.A buck will warn another buck if he get's to close by the snort wheeze,any deer will blow an alarm when they feel threatened.You probably will not here the snort wheeze unless you are sitting somewhere hunting,but I would bet you have probably heard an alarmed deer blowing if you have been in the deer wood's much!!

[This message has been edited by Buckhunter (edited 12-14-2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by buckwheat:
i am 14 and i have always wondered if when a deer snorts it means there is something wrong then why would you use it while hunting?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know how long you have spent out in the woods. I see that you are pretty young, but in time you will know what happens. The snort that I have heard has been during the time of rut. Meaning they are with the female. When with the female they will grunt for the fact that they have been doing what nature brings them. Next years offspring. If you hear that , just sit and wait, to my opinion, that is the good time in order to use the grunt calls, and all the scent that everybody talks about. Good luck in the future. Good Question
Theo

I had plenty of deer weeze at me. They either see me or smell me. I've even had them weeze at me when I turkey hunt in the spring.
But when they do it, your hunt is pretty much over. Any deer with in a 100 yard radius will hear it and run!
I've learned the hard way.

i hunt with jason and he has had alot of deer wheeze at him. I think that they always see you when they come up behind you.

Top Bottom