Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Wife’s Nov 17th buck

Marty Edwards

PMA Member
This is “The Basic 8”. He was another old, grouchy, known bully on the farm. I passed him at 20 yards on the morning of 11/4 and was rewarded an hour-ish later with the buck I posted previously. That said, I nearly picked up my bow and let this guy have it, which I would have been happy & proud to do, I just had a hunch I should leave my bow on the hanger a bit longer that morning. Glad I did.

The Basic 8 is another bus-bodied tank we’ve been watching a couple years to see if he was going to do anything great. He didn’t, mostly just added a bit of mass.

He marched in to 13 yards from my wife’s tree on the morning of Nov. 17th after a rattling sequence. He was the third buck that came into bow range on that particular “rattle” that morning. As he turned to exit, she tucked a perfect arrow into the hard-quartered toad. He tipped over 38 yards from her tree. Couldn’t be more proud of her.

As a side note, this is our 3rd season of ownership in this farm. There have been mega-giants killed within 5-10 miles, and less of us in nearly every direction. It’s been a challenge for us to get anything on cam that will bust the 150” mark. I’ve got 10+ acres of food, excellent cover, I even planted 13.5 acres of switch this year (which blew past my expectations) so in addition to the food, water, cover improvements we’ve made, we have decided to start focusing on eliminating as many of the old, smaller racked, bully bucks as our tags will allow. Three this year. In hopes that we begin to recruit & hold more of the top end youngsters. We’ll see if it pays off. In the meantime, we’re having fun! But, I’d be kidding if I said we aren’t just a wee bit discouraged by our lack of better bucks so far. Farm is only 250 acres & it would be nice ifIMG_5699.jpegIMG_5782.jpegIMG_5791.jpeg we had neighbors on all 4 sides who were “on the program”. Currently we don’t, but we’re gaining here & there, I think.

This is “The Basic 8”. He was another old, grouchy, known bully on the farm. I passed him at 20 yards on the morning of 11/4 and was rewarded an hour-ish later with the buck I posted previously. That said, I nearly picked up my bow and let this guy have it, which I would have been happy & proud to do, I just had a hunch I should leave my bow on the hanger a bit longer that morning. Glad I did.

The Basic 8 is another bus-bodied tank we’ve been watching a couple years to see if he was going to do anything great. He didn’t, mostly just added a bit of mass.

He marched in to 13 yards from my wife’s tree on the morning of Nov. 17th after a rattling sequence. He was the third buck that came into bow range on that particular “rattle” that morning. As he turned to exit, she tucked a perfect arrow into the hard-quartered toad. He tipped over 38 yards from her tree. Couldn’t be more proud of her.

As a side note, this is our 3rd season of ownership in this farm. There have been mega-giants killed within 5-10 miles, and less of us in nearly every direction. It’s been a challenge for us to get anything on cam that will bust the 150” mark. I’ve got 10+ acres of food, excellent cover, I even planted 13.5 acres of switch this year (which blew past my expectations) so in addition to the food, water, cover improvements we’ve made, we have decided to start focusing on eliminating as many of the old, smaller racked, bully bucks as our tags will allow. Three this year. In hopes that we begin to recruit & hold more of the top end youngsters. We’ll see if it pays off. In the meantime, we’re having fun! But, I’d be kidding if I said we aren’t just a wee bit discouraged by our lack of better bucks so far. Farm is only 250 acres & it would be nice ifView attachment 126566View attachment 126567View attachment 126568 we had neighbors on all 4 sides who were “on the program”. Currently we don’t, but we’re gaining here & there, I think.

As a side note, this is our 3rd season of ownership in this farm. There have been mega-giants killed within 5-10 miles, and less of us in nearly every direction. It’s been a challenge for us to get anything on cam that will bust the 150” mark. I’ve got 10+ acres of food, excellent cover, I even planted 13.5 acres of switch this year (which blew past my expectations) so in addition to the food, water, cover improvements we’ve made, we have decided to start focusing on eliminating as many of the old, smaller racked, bully bucks as our tags will allow. Three this year. In hopes that we begin to recruit & hold more of the top end youngsters. We’ll see if it pays off. In the meantime, we’re having fun! But, I’d be kidding if I said we aren’t just a wee bit discouraged by our lack of better bucks so far. Farm is only 250 acres & it would be nice ifView attachment 126566View attachment 126567View attachment 126568 we had neighbors on all 4 sides who were “on the program”. Currently we don’t, but we’re gaining here & there, I think.
Real nice buck congratulations

Congrats to your wife..Great buck..It sounds like your are in a similar situation that I posted about a few days ago..high grading bucks..I've been in your exact situation a few times before and all it takes is one bad neighbor to sink the immediate neighborhood ..if you have two bad ones it might be worth finding another farm. I recently sold a farm with loads of potential because of that exact reason..I sure wish I had more neighbors like you and your wife..Congrats again.

I can relate to the challenges. Neighbors within a half mile are consistently killing 170"s & better and we're lucky to get a 150-155" at best. I've let go of trying to control every detail and focused on having more fun in the outdoors. If I'm meant to kill a mega stud it'll happen, if not I hope each season is a success because of the fun I had.

That said your wife's buck is a freakin stud. I love when you can tell a buck is an old warrior. Congratulations!!

I can relate to the challenges. Neighbors within a half mile are consistently killing 170"s & better and we're lucky to get a 150-155" at best. I've let go of trying to control every detail and focused on having more fun in the outdoors. If I'm meant to kill a mega stud it'll happen, if not I hope each season is a success because of the fun I had.

That said your wife's buck is a freakin stud. I love when you can tell a buck is an old warrior. Congratulations!!
Excellent perspective. I tend very much to be a “bottom line” guy. Bottom line here is. I either need to do exactly as you are doing and learn to “let go” a little. Or, I need to sell the farm and move on. Might improve my situation, might not…no guarantees that after a move the neighborhood is perfect and will stay that way forever.

My perspective is easier because I've got kids to get involved. 10, 8, 6, and 3 make for a ton of fun opportunities to get them outside. We've trapped over 100 nest raiders this fall. Caught our first beavers, caught 3 bobcats, and a pair of coyotes. On top of that my 8 and 6 year old each killed their first bucks and their first antlerless deer as well. I've been on cloud 9 all fall and it's certainly not been because of the deer I'm chasing.

My perspective is easier because I've got kids to get involved. 10, 8, 6, and 3 make for a ton of fun opportunities to get them outside. We've trapped over 100 nest raiders this fall. Caught our first beavers, caught 3 bobcats, and a pair of coyotes. On top of that my 8 and 6 year old each killed their first bucks and their first antlerless deer as well. I've been on cloud 9 all fall and it's certainly not been because of the deer I'm chasing.
Love to hear that! The good stuff. Often it’s our kids & grandkids that give us the paradigm shift or perspective we need!

Top Bottom