Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Wife's First Turkey A Dandy

longspurs

Yesterday around this time my wife, Lillee, and I were heading for a favorite hunting spot in Winneshiek County. The farm had not been hunted since my dad and step-mom were there about two weeks ago so I had high hopes of working some birds. When we left the truck for the half-mile walk out the temperature was 29 degrees. I must say, my wife was a real trooper and didn't complain a bit about the brisk temps!

As we got close to where I had planned on setting up the blind a bird sounded off about 150 yards away to the east. Moments later, a second bird gobbled about 300 yards south of us. I figured we couldn't go wrong setting up between the two so I eased a little closer to the first bird and we set up shop.

After we'd settled in and it had gotten plenty light out I did two fly-downs with an old wing of mine and got an immediate response from the closer bird. I slipped back into the blind and took a chair next to my wife. We were in business. It wasn't long and the bird was on the ground up the hill behind our position and judging by his gobbling, he was working his way down. I did one long series of yelps followed but a little cutting and he went wild. :D

Pretty soon, the drumming began. My wife's eyes were as big as saucers as the bird inched ever closer to the blind as she'd never experienced that sound before. She'd heard me describe it many times but this was the first time we'd ever had a bird in close for her. He was still behind us, but CLOSE! At one point we could seriously hear his wings dragging in the pasture as he took his sweet time. Finally, he rounded the blind to the north at about 25 yards. Lillee was ecstatic! He spun back and forth a few times before marching straight to our two hen decoys at 16 yards. Just then, the other bird that had been gobbling stepped out of the timber about 175 yards away and proceeded to gobble and strut back and forth. That bird had literally gobbled non-stop since hitting the ground. We took in the show for a minute or two and then Lillee drew a bead on him. At 13 yards she touched off a load of six shot and everything went silent.

I flipped the blind and we rushed over to her bird, but he wasn't going anywhere. As I turned him over I couldn't believe my eyes ... his spurs were unreal! I told Lillee to take a closer look at her trophy. She gasped at the sight of his daggers and asked if that was good. I could only grin and say, "Well, they're better than any bird I've shot in nearly 20 years of turkey hunting!" And that's the truth.

After some photos, some laughs and a few tears she packed the bird out in my vest. This hunt was about three years in the making. In the Spring of 2008 she was slated to take hunter safety before the season began but the class was postponed due to a serious illness the head instructor had. She took the class later that year. Last year we hunted hard when we could but with her being a nursing student at the time it limited our opportunities. I couldn't have been more pleased and proud yesterday morning. Watching her experience so many firsts in one hunt was more than I could have hoped for. Seeing her reaction and genuine excitement was a dream come true.

Tale of the tape ... 23 pounds, 11-inch beard, 1-1/2 inch spurs, although one is a shade shorter. A truly unbelievable first turkey for a truly unbelievable woman.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

-Longspurs-

Yowzers!!!! Holy daggers!

Great job man and congrats Lillee!

Those pics are awesome man, nice set up.....beautiful country right there.

Top Bottom