Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Wild Card's Last Stand

sureshot

The Hunt Never Ends....
For those of you who would rather watch the video of the hunt, simply click the following link; Wild Card's Last Stand Video

The story of 'Wild Card' starts in the fall of 2011 when I believe that he made his first appearance on my cameras that particular year (I cannot 100% say it's him, but I believe it is). He appeared to be a solid 3.5yr old.
2011pic.jpg

In 2012, 'Wild Card' never showed himself, nor did he really even cross my mind.

Going into the fall of this year (2013), there were a few bucks that I had my sights on; AJ and Rookie. Both were 6.5yr old whitetails that I had 3yrs of history with. I was confident that with 22days off in November that I would have the opportunity to catch up with one or the other, however, that all changed when I applied for and accepted a new job in mid-October. Although I was more than excited for the new career opportunity, I knew that I would now only have 4-5 days off to hunt during the rut as I would be going to Montana for a mule deer hunt the 3rd week of November. With that being known, I decided that I would shoot the first mature buck that gave me an opportunity.

On the afternoon of November 7th I headed to a farm I've had a ton of luck on in the past, however, I was running extremely late due to having to work earlier in the day. Alex had agreed to film me, which was something that she had never done before. We headed to the farm that Rookie was living, but also a few other mature bucks, including 'Wild Card' who had shown up on the cameras a few weeks earlier.
2013pic.jpg

Alex and I carried in stands and sticks and setup in about as good of a funnel/hub as you could imagine. I hadn't even pulled the bow up when a 2.5yr old with plenty of potential cruised by. Shortly later, I hit the horns together and a mature buck came running in, however, he lacked the headgear that I was looking for.
sniffer.jpg

As the evening progressed, I watched as a buck made his way through the turnips 400yds to my east. I quick look through my binoculars and I knew it was Wild Card. He was on a mission and heading south, so I decided to rattle to see if I could change his mind and bring him my way. As soon as I hit the horns together his head shot up and he stared in my direction for a few seconds....then as if on a string turned and was headed my direction.

As mature bucks often do he circled down wind, but I was confident that he would not smell me as I had two tarsals hanging in my tree off of a mature whitetail that the landowner had killed the evening before. One minute turned to two, and two to three....and still no sign of Wild Card. By now the wind had completely died and you could hear a pin drop....that's when I heard the sound of steps coming my way. They continued getting closer and before long I could see that Wild Card was coming in. He was fired up, hair bristled, and walking somewhat stiff legged. All bristled up, and high on testosterone, Wild Card walked in front of my Cuddeback one last time.
cudde2013.jpg

When he reached 8yds I drew back and as I was about halfway through drawing his head snapped to the right and he was staring me down. I froze for a second at half draw, and then slowly continued pulling back.

After what seemed like an eternity, I felt the cam roll over. As the cam rolled, he stared me down even harder....and I knew he was about to bolt. I settled the pin, and squeezed off. I watched my arrow bury into his side, but knew it was a tad back. He ran off, and I decided to wait until the next morning to track him.
theshot123.jpg

That evening seemed to drag on forever, but finally...after what seemed like an eternity, the sun began to rise. I headed to the farm and began the search. 150yds later and he was mine.
sideview.jpg

partial%20view.jpg

frontview.jpg

As I mention in the video, I am grateful and fortunate to have the opportunity to hunt the farms I do. I, just as many of you, live, breath, and dream about big whitetails, and without them, I don't know what I would do in my free time. There is not another 'high' in the world that compares....not another 'drug' that could ever do to me what whitetail hunting does. When everything goes full circle, and a tag is filled, I feel more alive than ever before.

Now, I hope the ball continues rolling as I just arrived in Montana to chase after monster mulies. I have never been out west before, so this is giong to be a first for me, and I am as ready as I'll ever be. I'll make sure to post updates shortly every evening on TrophyPursuit.com.

Good luck to those who still have tags, and congrats to those who have already filled thiers.

-Chris

Congrats man! You do a fantastic job of getting it done! Great story and deer. Good luck out west!

Love the history with the deer. Always nice to harvest a deer you have put work into. I have had the same cases where a deer will go 1 to 2 years without any appearances than just become a regular! Congratulations!

Great buck and write up, I was wondering I would be getting to read a harvest story from you this year!

Top Bottom