Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Wild thought

Fishbonker

Life Member
While I was making my PETA approved arrow (see PMA section) it occurred to me that if I put some sort of sliding weight in the hollow shaft of the arrow that was semi-fixed at the rear of the shaft that would then slide forward when the arrow slows down, as in when it hits flesh/bone the energy stored in the weight sliding forward would add penetration. In other words, when the arrow hits the deer it will slow down, the weight at the back of the arrow stays at the faster speed and slides forward hitting the back of the insert and transferring its energy to the broadhead giving it a little more oomph to get through bone or tough hide.

Is this at least feasible? It is waaayyy to much physics for me.

The ‘Bonker

I think you may seriously be on to something. I'll take a dozen!
grin.gif

I don't know man, momentum = mass X velocity. I think it would need an abrupt stop to have any effect, and the mass would need to be more than the arrow just to push the arrow, and the mass and velocity of the object would need to be greater than the force (bone) etc that it is pushing against, to even move the arrow forward. It would take a heck of a mass speeding up at a great speed, which I doubt would be achievable in a 28 inch arrow. Also I believe that the object inside the arrow would would have too much friction to even slide down the arrow. The arrow most likely will not go in at a exact 180 degree angle so the forces of the arrow wall would act against it. Has this myth been busted? I would say Yes. If you want to have more knockdown power, simply shoot a heavier arrow.
grin.gif
grin.gif
If you want to think about it more, the object inside the arrow would be pretty much pointed at a downward angle, so it would start moving towards the end of the shaft, and if were to have the effect you wanted it to have when it hit the animal it would have the same exact effect when you shot the arrow. The mass would accelerate to the end of the shaft hitting the end with a force against the force of motion slowing the arrow down. Even more if you still think it might work, just to see what kind of force your mass will have when it would actually hit the animal, if when you shoot it with the object at the beginning of the arrow and it travels to the end of the arrow, like it should, if it doesn't even have enough force to push your knock out of the shaft, then it wouldn't even have enough to do anything going the other way. Why am I thinking of this, I have no clue
blush.gif
blush.gif
grin.gif

Sell the Hoyt and get a Mathews and you will always pass through!
grin.gif
Problem solved, now I hope teeroy reads this.
grin.gif

If you want Mass and Velocity
Mass= Heavier arrow or 9-10 grains per pound pulled

Velocity= Bowtech Tribute or Allegiance.

[ QUOTE ]
Sell the Hoyt and get a Mathews and you will always pass through!
grin.gif
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Teeroy's "gone over" to Bowtech, so I doubt it will rile him up like it might have awhile back. As for the rest of us Hoyt fans, that's another story...
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Pound for pound...I'll take a hoyt anyday over a mathews.

MATHEWS= Muscular And Tough, HOYT Empowers WISE Sportsmen
grin.gif

Teeroy saw that the mathews was an inferior bow but was still too anti-hoyt to make the switch. Then again, Bowtech makes a good bow.
waytogo.gif
:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry to admit it skully, but i read it. the only way you get a pass through, is to get your broadheads RAZOR sharp, so that those floaters, lofting from your mathews will slice the flesh.

speed kills

[ QUOTE ]
speed kills

[/ QUOTE ]

Nuh-uh! I shot a deer in the rump with a lightning fast arrow and it ran away!
evil.gif

Bonker - someone beat you to the punch a few years ago. Cabelas sells something like this.

Bonker 4 President!

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

should have tried shooting that lightning fast arrow out of a lightning fast bow

[ QUOTE ]
Bonker - someone beat you to the punch a few years ago. Cabelas sells something like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Once again beaten to the punch. My record of never having an original thought remains intact.

The 'Bonker

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

should have tried shooting that lightning fast arrow out of a lightning fast bow

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you think I threw it??
icon_rolleyes[1].gif
DORK!

[ QUOTE ]
Did you think I threw it?? DORK!

[/ QUOTE ]

i thought you shot it out of a mathews. if you did, you would have probably had the same results as throwing it. i guess i should have said "shot it out of a lightning fast bowTECH"

sorry to confuse you

Gee Whiz! Sounds like you need to change your name to "Blowtech"!
evil.gif

Anyway, Back to Bonker's post.

-----------------------------------------------

Bonker, what if you put a primer and bullet at the tip of the arrow and a weighted pin that would be driven forward at impact to strike the primer giving it that little something extra.

I think there is a little tension on the site lately. You don't suppose everybody is ready for the season to be here.

You would not be gaining anything by having a sliding weight in the arrow. Your bow can only put out so much because of the principles of potential energy and kintetic energy. Your bow may become more efficient at converting your potential energy into kinetic energy with a heavier arrow but for everything you do there are downsides such as, a slower arrow.

Top Bottom