Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Will things change?

cornfield

This spring I was able to purchase 120 acre piece of land consisting of 90 timber, 22 tillable, and about 8 acres of nasty brush. This property had been cattled on and off for the past 5-6 years. There are cattle on 3 sides of the property and no longer come across the fences. The south end of the property is solid timber that is about 400 acres and does not have cattle. I have not seen the numbers of deer here during the summer that I expected and am a little concerned about the future. The tillable has been planted in beans, oats, and turnips. My question is this, how long will it take before the deer return to this property? I have heard that it could take 4-5 years before the deer become comfortable in that area again. The timber is NOT open and seems to be very good habitat. There is a lot of woody browse along the timber edge. Mainly white oak timber and shingle oak. Also has a pond and nice creek that crosses the property. Everything seems perfect, just very few deer. Anyone ever seen this before? Thanks.

I've hunted previously pastured ground, it seemed to take a couple seasons before the deer hunting picked up. I wouldn't worry about it one bit.

I hope to one day pick up a little ground of my own. Sounds like I need to switch Dept's though.
grin.gif

I wouldn't get too worried about it. I used to hunt about 350 acres in MO that had cattle on it at the same time and still had a great deal of deer sightings in the fall...some were real dandys. With the crops you have and the cover available, you should have a good year as usual.
grin.gif

To what extent have you tried to locate/view the deer population?

I would'nt think it would take very long a season or two at best.

I think deer would rather hang out with the cows than where they get bumped by a person.

RBB-Things just came together and I was able to swing the deal. Hope your able to get your own someday too.
Shredder-You are probably right. I guess patience should be a virtue here. Holler if you want to shoot this weekend.
scout-I have set up a few cameras and done the usual evening drive thing. Getting a few does and one spike that has been around all year. Did find a big track the other day so maybe change is already taking place. Thanks for the help fellow whitetailers!

sounds like a killer spot to me
smile.gif
I wouldn't worry about not seeing the deer, i figure you only see about a 1/8 of the herd, if not less than that before dark
smile.gif

I wouldn't worry deer are on ridges and deep in corn fields right now trying to get away from flys and bugs right now .The rut starts up and crops come out they will come back
grin.gif

Sounds like a great piece of ground!

Build it and they will come!
grin.gif

Good luck this year Bud!

I wouldn't worry. I know there are not many deer in our timber right now either. Too much corn still standing. Get some corn out and a little cold weather and they will be there. You might be suprised just how many you see this year during the rut. Good luck
waytogo.gif

if the cattle have been moved out the deer will move in. especially if there is cattle on the surrounding areas. i would personally leave that thick area alone as a sanctuary and concentrate on finding some acorn trees and the major travel routes right away. sounds like a dynamite spot.

I hunt a pasture that is used by dairy cattle. In mid-october the farmer moves the cows closer to the barn and the timber fills up with deer. Of course they are also loosing their corn cover at the same time. I think you will be pleasantly surprised by how many deer you see.

Thanks for all your help guys. I am amazed at not only the knowledge of the members here, but the willingness to help each other get better. Good luck to all.

Top Bottom