Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Will this work??

Double D

I am paying a farmer to leave 1acre of beans for me to hunt over late muzz. I was thinking of going in there as soon as the bean leaves fall and broadcast some rape and turnips. Has anyone ever try this?

I'd broadcast the turnips, groundhog forage radish, and winter rye. That would be a dynamite plot. I would definitely overseed the beans with something, because they will likely be wiped out.

Those seeds will all germinate just sitting on top of the soil with some good rains.

You might try to time it a week or two before the leaves fall. The soybean leaves on top of the seed might provide a thatch for better germination and the seedlings should be able to push up through them. Also, you get more time for growth that way.

Hope for nasty cold weather which will cause the deer flock to the beans. If it stays nice, like last year, the beans are less of an attraction, especially for mature bucks during legal hours. Broadcast rye grain for some greenery in case the weather stays nice.

I'd broadcast the rye in more than the acre of beans. When he cuts the other beans you could have several acres of nice green rye help feed your herd along with the beans cause if we have a cold winter and if you have a pretty good size herd they'll wipe out the acre of beans before late muzzy even gets close. I left an acre 2 years ago when we had a semi cold winter and I had nothing but stems left by 2nd shotgun

Top Bottom