Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Will you shoot on opening day?

B

Bowbendr

If you have a doe in shooting range on Oct.1 are you going to release an arrow? I am after meat this year so there is no doubt in my mind that I would.

if i get extra doe tags sure if not i hold out for the racks i have been watching all year. can always fill the frezzer in Dec during shotgun season

I have an extra doe tag , so yes I would do so. If I only had an any deer tag, I would probably hold out for the big boy.

Yes I will. I already have my bow and late Mzldr antlerless tags. In most cases around Iowa I doubt it would hurt to back off the buck frenzy a bit and harvest a doe or two for every buck we plan to hunt or harvest where possible.

Not me, I try to hold out until after Thanksgiving before I shoot something I'd be less than happy with. Of course if any of you saw the buck I shot last year you realize just what would make me happy! I've got that "feeling" this year, I saw a good number of large bucks last year and have something this year that I havn't had in awhile...CONFIDENCE!! Hope my nerves can hold up!

Nor I...

102801Adoes.jpg

Photo by TLH - 10/28/01

I would hold out for a buck, I took a 6 pt opening day last year, never turn down what you'd take on the last day.
smile.gif

Nope. I'll keep the does around for natural attractant. No better scent than the real thing during the rut. After the rut does will still be there and then I'll take 'em. I have two does that live in the gullies behind my house that have lived off of our flowers, bird seed and trees all winter and summer. I figure if they are around for the rut then the bucks will be too. I would probably have a different opinion if there was a larger herd of does and taking one wouldn't change my chances of seeing a buck.

This is the year. I hope.

The 'Bonker

If I was out their opening day and here comes a buck with antlers stickin out around the ears you can bet $$$ that that thing will get an arrow thrown at it!!

BOWHUNTINFOOL
wink.gif

Doe: Considering Iowa's present buck to doe ratio and the Iowa deer population and all the tags available for does, I will stick the first mature doe that offers me a good shot. I prefer to harvest does before they are bred because if I harvest one after the rut I may also be harvesting the offspring of a monster buck. But don't get me wrong, I will still harvest a doe after the rut if need be. Also, fewer does during the rut means the bucks have to travel more and look harder to find a doe. Will the bucks leave my hunting ground? Maybe, but most will return to search again.

Buck: Since I live and hunt in the incredible deer woods of Iowa which has outstanding genetics, habitat, and food, I will wait for the first buck that I believe will gross 150" or better before I release an arrow. If you have confidence in your hunting ability the young bucks are easy to pass up.

It depends upon a lot of things, but probably. If I am in a controlled doe hunt area where I know someone else is waiting to get in, I certainly will. If I am somewhere else it depends how hot of a day it is and how much fun I am having watching her and how large her fawn(s) are. I let a lot of deer walk past me every year, and many of my best memories are those that I just watched.

IaCraig

An old mature doe is the toughest critter out there to kill. How many times haven't you had a big doe screw up an otherwise good sit. I had an extra doe tag last year and it was near the end of October before I had my first chance to fill it with a big doe. But...I went ahead and bought another doe tag this season anyway, so yes, I'd take a big adult doe on October 1 without hesitation. Good Hunting!

Top Bottom