Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

wingbone calls?

teeroy

Life Member
i have some on the way. anybody have any luck with them? how much of a pain in the butt are they to learn to use?

I tried to learn to run one and best I could tell, had I taken it to the field with me I'd probably been covered up with field mice and rats and then eventually attacked by hawks, coyotes and bobcats - all I could get the damn thing to do was make some goshawful squeaking noise. I have had no problem with any other turkey call, but that thing was aggrivating.

If you ever firgure it out it makes a beautiful hen yelp. I have a friend who can make one sing.

Good Luck with it.

They do sound great but have little volume. I struggled with mine for allmost a day before I figured it out.

teeroy, I actually have found them to be loud. Mine work good for a mid morning locator call. I have made some out of gobbler and jake wings. They have good sound, but usually people make them with hen wings. The only hen yelper I ever tried was a lot easier to use than my gobbler yelpers. I was able to cluck, yelp, and got even got a kee-kee-run out of it. Still wish I would have bought it. I had a guy in Florida make one for me. It was a great deal. If you sent him 2 turkey wings he would keep one for himself but make for you and ship it back. Very nice work. It has a nice finish with colored thread at each joint, and a lanyard. If anyone is interested I can look for his add. to see if he is still doing it. Did I mention he did this for free for sending him the extra wing? Good deal.

I have had pretty good luck with mine when none else worked...nice way to change things up...don't get frustrated the right sound will eventually come...

the reason i started this thread, is because i recieved an email from the guy that is making my calls. same thing as CLOACA said, send him 2 wings, you get a call in return. it takes awhile, as it is his winter project. i was going to put his email addy up in the PMA section as the spring season gets going. he said he is always looking for more.
i'm getting a gobbler and jake wings done, i guess i will have to get a en next fall and have that done as well.

I made a 3bone-wingbone call, which made it really loud and raspy. As someone said, it makes a great locater call and I use it in a blind also as I bowhunt. I put a little notch on the bottom which helped tremendously. I'll try to post a pic. of it tomorrow. It's really not that hard of a project if you take you time cleaning the bones.

Thanks for the link Teeroy. That is a detailed view of how to make a wingbone call.

I am not the handest person in the world, but I do plan to try and make one or two of them.
smile.gif

I was out the other day and found a young jake that had been killed. I took the wings home and removed the bones needed for a call. The whole thing...bone removal, cutting, fitting, boiling, refitting and apoxy took a total of 1 hr. The apoxy is drying as I write this. The calls are the easiest thing in the world to make.... I'm not a crafty guy by any means and I think it turned out great! I'll post a pic of it when I get it sanded...Believe me guys.... if I can do it, anybody can!

Here's a pic of the call I made today. The apoxy needs to cure before I can sand it.

Img2005-03-04-0001.jpg

Got home tonight and sanded it, wrapped the joints and put few layers of clear coat on it. A lanyard... and I'm set.

The call sounds great. I was able to get yelps, clucks and kee kee runs out of it.

Img2005-03-06-0002.jpg

You just have to tighten your lips by putting a little more pressure on them with your teeth. It hurts if your doing it right
grin.gif
You'll notice the pitch will vary with how much pressure you are exerting on your lip ( upper ) with your teeth. The more pressure you add, the higher the rate of vibration made at your lips, the higher the pitch.

The bone calls work on the same principle as a brass instument( trumpet ect.).... except the air flow is in the opposite direction.

I was screwing around this morning and think I can get a gobble out of it with a little more work.....Really!!
cool.gif
I have the sound I want, it just doesn't last as long as I want it to.

Keep practicing....I found that after about a day, all the sounds I wanted to make were there and sounds I didn't think were possible started to show up....like the gobble for example.

Good job on the call DLO,I might just have to try making one sometime.Never even used one but was curious if anyone had ever heard this before?I remember reading an article awhile ago where a guy claimed that a combination of a hens bone joined with a gobblers makes the most realistic yelps and clucks.Any thruth to this?

Thanks a lot Blake and PA.

PA, I bet the combo of bones he was describing in the article was a hen radius and a gobbler ulna and humerus. The small radius from a hen, has a smaller lumen than that of a tom....making it way easier to blow. The second two bones in the call- from the tom- are larger, giving the call more potential volume and resonance that would be more easily adjusted with hand position. I'm just guessing though
shrug[1].gif

Here's the second call I made with the other wing. Instead if inlaying a piece of a real feather, I drew a tail feather this time. It's turning into a fun little hobby!
smile.gif

Img2005-03-10-0012.jpg

Img2005-03-10-0014.jpg

The J-RW 002 is just a way for me to know what the call was made from ( Jake, Right Wing) and the number is obvious. Since its a 3 digit #, I figure I'll be at this for a while
waytogo.gif

Top Bottom