Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Winniejoe Scores!

ironwood

547Gun_season_06_002resized-med.jpg

Here is a beautiful buck taken by winniejoe. I'll let him tell the story.

Well, here's the story of my 2006 buck and I'm sticking to it.
grin.gif

Thanks for the replies. This must be about my 10 or 11th year. I look forward to my trip every year. I'll also try and post another pic that shows I was darn cold that night in the stand.

The afternoon took me almost 1/2 mile away on the same farm to a new stand. It's an area we've seen many good bucks over the years. I snuck into my stand just before 3:00 p.m. and felt as though I was undetected by the deer which by now were on edge and aware of the deer hunting season. Around 3:30 I saw a couple deer skirt the 8 acre bean stubble field I was watching. A little while later I began to see deer starting to filter out to the edges of the woods and onto the field to feed. The wind direction was perfect for my stand location and kept me concealed from all the deer as they came out from different locations. So far, some small bucks, but nothing that would even be considered or eligible for the wall.

Time was going fast and the afternoon faded and dusk was quickly approaching. The deer appeared nervous and watched the gate where in years past a vehicle, person or hunter would enter the field. I had taken a different route to the deer stand. I had used a hill to hide my entrance and quietly slipped down to my deerstand hours before.

Well, by now I was even getting a little anxious and cold. Would this be another day gone by without firing a shot? It was just after 5:00 p.m. and I had planned to leave the stand -under the cover of darkness- at 5:15 p.m.. More and more deer had poured onto the field and I had lost count of the afternoons tally which now was nearing 40 deer. As I watched a group of 7 does and 1 small buck feed, a wide and heavy antlered deer entered the field. His rack and body stood prominently out against the woods and other deer. I remember thinking "wow, a shooter" and stood up in my stand. The deer was just over 60 yds. when I raised the gun and put the crosshairs on him. I fired the 12 gauge Winchester shotgun once and the deer scattered in all directions. The buck lunged and headed for the nearby timber. I was almost certain I had hit him but I knew I would need to wait before I could get down from my stand and look for blood or hair to confirm the hit.

After calling for help I walked over to the area the deer was standing and started looking for sign. NOTHING! I walked over to the woods where he ran in and still saw no sign of blood. NOTHING! I wasn't panicking but I was second guessing my shot. As I peered into the woods I saw something white. Was that my buck or possibly a white bucket or plastic bag? I had to check it out. By now it was dark and I had to fumble for my flashlight to navigate through the trees. As I approached the object I started to see the outline of a deer and the large antlers riding high above the ground. There he was and now he was mine.

The buck is a typical mainframe 8pt. with one small point. The inside spread is 19" and he scored just under 145". I plan on having him mounted and hung in my office next to the last buck I shot in Iowa back in 2001.

Top Bottom