Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Winter Feeding?

Ghost

Life Member
Hello,

I am interested in getting some of your views on Deer Feeding.

- Some say its a terrible idea because of CWD and other deseases spreading.

- Some really enjoy watching the deer out their picture window while sitting by the fire.

- Some say its an easy way to concentrate the deer for finding more sheds.

- Some say its a bad idea to have them become dependant on an outside source of food.

- Some say feeding will increase the carrying capacity of your current habitat and good for the herd.

I'm looking for a good discussion on this topic.

I'm not talking about the baiting issue.

What are your views about Winter Feeding of Deer?

I don't winter feed deer specifically, but did leave six rows of corn along the edge of the timber. So I'm feeding deer, pheasants, turkeys, squirrels and any other critter that likes corn. This year with the light amount of snow that we have received it may not have been necessary, but two years ago when we had all the snow it could have made a big difference to the pheasant population.

With the mild winters we've had recently and the threat of CWD, I see no reason to winter feed deer. In fact, given the current population, some normal winter losses would not hurt the numbers and might help the herd in some places. As far as increasing the carrying capacity, that's more an overall issue of habitat improvement and establishing food plots if you want to. That would seem to be a more permanent solution.

Top Bottom