Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Winter Kill thoughts?

Waukon1

I was wondering what you guys/gals think the average % of winter kill in a normal year and what the % of winter kill would be this year due to extra snow, ice, and cold?

Any opinions?

I haven't seen much for winter kills around the area's I hunt. Heard still looks fat and healthy. Killed a doe this weekend, and she was one of the fatest deer I have ever killed.

My guess would be 2 % to 3% . Just way too much food from left over grain in the fields. Most death loss is from a old gun shot and cold stress.

I hunted the -4F Saturday and -13F Sunday and the deer seemed unaffected by the cold or snow cover. The two does I field dressed Sunday were fat.

Deer in Iowa? Not so much.

Pheasants, quail, and other small game or birds...probably more this winter than ones past because of the ice. Without the ice, not so much different than a "normal" iowa winter.

We really haven't had it that bad besides the ice in December. The snowfall totals have been spread out over several small storms. It's the 12(+)inch snow events that wreck the wildlife.

I think us humans have the whole memory thing going on...and we tend to remember that the past couple of winters have been really mild...AND we tend to become wimps when it gets a little closer to normal after having so many "not-so-normal" winters. The wildlife don't remember like we do, it's just another day in nature to them...another survival curve-ball that most tend to figure out how to hit.

Top Bottom