Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Winter Kill?

loneranger

With regards to trees, I am wondering if this deep frost level, and constant gail of below zero temps will kill or damage some fruit and nut trees? Especially young ones. With little snow cover, except for NE Iowa. I have never seen the ground and vegetation so burned up. Even the wild cedars look sick! As a side weather note. Yet another snowfall, and moisture plume missed all of Iowa,this weekend.All went again to NE Iowa,Chicago, and New York City. This blocking pattern is finally supposed to break down, but any gulf moisture next in coming ,is still expected to avoid Iowa. Not that it would do any good, with ground frozen 4 ft down, but the lack of moisture flowing in our direction, is still problematic. I know,,,a long time till April,,,or is it?

I was wondering the same thing, as we planted 15 trees from Stark's last spring. They fared OK through the (DRY) summer, but with the cold I was wondering if they were going to make it. I went and looked on Friday, and it looks like almost all of them are starting to push new buds out. I sure HOPE SO. We'll see.

I doubt anything hardy for this climate will have a problem with this weather. Maybe young evergreens will have the most problems, but so far, mostly the pitlolly pines are showing the most browning of my young conifers.
Usually more risk with exotic stuff, but worth trying.. My bamboo pretty much has lost its green and moving onto the tan stage, probably die to the ground, unlike the past couple unusual mild winters.

I have lost a Perssimon tree, and a couple apple trees, so far from winters past. Apples were from it warming too fast in March then, a hard freeze. They never recovered! It is possible. Dry ground and harsh temps and winds will kill trees. Time will tell....

Yeah, I've lost things in spring from warming too fast and usually when they leaf out and then have a hard freeze put a nail in the coffin. I'll take a couple pics sometime of any visible damage I see so far this winter. For my area, seems pretty average winter.

Seems like the ground ended up freezing too deep, a lot of young evergreens struggled.
Southwestern-White-Pine.jpg

Top Bottom