Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Winter Rye

miniwhitetails

Admittedly I am more of a timber hunter. Being tucked in the timber on an early November morning watching multiple bucks stroll by, nothing beats it. However, this year I planted a small 1/2 acre food plot of winter rye. It is mostly surrounded by woods and sits about 50 yards from a large ag field that is soybeans this year. It's what some would call a "kill plot". My question, what time of year do most of you see the most "action" in your plots with winter rye? I'm guessing late November around thanksgiving? Mid October? Late muzzleloader after snow?
I also planted clover/chicory with it so the plan for next year is that it will be a clover plot. The rye is more of a cover crop this year.

There are a lot variables that would lead to wildly different answers IMO. But, as it relates to rye and when they hammer it the most??? That's easy...mid-to-late Februrary through late March. For real.

Now then, that doesn't directly help your fall hunting, but you should have action there...how much and when depends on a lot of other things.

Last yr with the drought i did overseed everything with rye and again this yr and you will see use late oct thru end of season also maybe not a great as other crops but definitely better than nothing also depends what else is in your area? Late greens always have a draw.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom