Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Winter Tactics

BugleMIn

Hunt them the same way you would on Oct. 1st. You have to pattern them and get between the bedding area and food.

May get some luck hunting the does, seems like a buck will check in and out at times with does in the late season.

The monster I'll be chasing with muzzleloader is almost 100% nocturnal this time of the year.

Any suggestions for second season archery tactics? Any advice or previous experiences would be helpful.

I use this part of the season to harvest does. It is mostly an evening hunt between bedding areas and food sources. Corn, alfalfa and winter wheat are getting attention now. Dress warm, get out there and have some fun!

Find a picked bean field with a ton of beans that were dropped. They will be pounding these till the so (if the snow) gets to deep. When you have some deep snow look for that 3rd cut hay that never got cut, it is easier for them to get at, ranther than digging 18" down for the beans or corn. AND if your lucky enough to have a standing corn field with snow, for go all others and hunt it instead.

As already stated, food this the primary factor when hunting late season whitetail.

I find that after shotgun season they are extremely wary.

Best advice I can give is find the primary food source in your hunting area, then find where they are bedding, set up as close to the bedding area as you can with out spooking them. They usually tend to move to the food source late in the evening, and return to the bedding area early in the morning.

Dress warm and enjoy, it is a great time of the year to hunt whitetails.

Top Bottom