Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Winter wheat

MRH

I was wondering if any of you guys have used winter wheat for a food plot and how well it worked. I got a small plot that we just planted this morning to try, I know it could be a little late but what the heck.

I like winter wheat because it is easy, cheap and creates a lot of deer activity. An additional benefit is the seed heads for pheasants and turkeys in the late spring.

I planted winter wheat for the first time this year on Aug. 7. I planted one field by itself and one I mixed with no-plow. Just wanted to see the results with the different plantings. My friend mixed it with his buck forage oats. The deer are hitting all three plots good now but I am interested to see how it works in the muzzleloader season after most of the food is covered by snow or gone. I have it on a ridge above a standing corn field that I am paying the farmer to leave some standing, hopefully they will stop there before heading to the corn. This way the non target deer will be already by me before mr big shows up.

Top Bottom