Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

winter wheat????

D

daweyers

just wondering if anybody has luck with winter wheat as a late season food plot....i know if does well in cold and snow but wondering if deer hit it up come dec. and jan. even november........???

[ QUOTE ]
From my experience...
Better than oats but not as good as rye.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have to agree with pharmer. The success of any food plot often depends on competition from other food sources though.

If you plant WW in a hidden field with no other crops around...it's gonna get hammered.

Rye is able to withstand heavy grazing better then wheat IMO and the seed is very cheap.

Planting seperate plots and observing them can prove interesting, or adding exclusion cages to tell usage and preference.

Plant Triticale and you have the best of both rye and wheat!
waytogo.gif

I have a winter wheat field that is hidden and has been quite popular all Fall long. There isn't much left there and it is a 5 acre field.

At any rate, as far as seeding something else in the upcoming Spring... would one have better luck frost seeding clover over a winter wheat field or a rye field? Do either need to be killed off before the clover will take over?

Daver- I don't think it really matters as much which (wheat or rye) but people seem to have better luck if you are going to frost seed by not planting the fall field quite as heavy so there isn't as much early competition with the clover.

[ QUOTE ]
Do either need to be killed off before the clover will take over?

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's thick then you might have to clip it (the wheat) to keep it from shading out the clover.

If it's on the thin side you can just leave it. Pharmer had good luck just letting his rye stand and his clover did great.

It's something you could kind of monitor during the spring and early summer...but you wouldn't need to "kill" it by spraying or anything.

Pharmer had a great picture of his clover in rye but I can't seem to find it...of course I can't find my hat when it's on my head either
grin.gif

The wheat came in fairly thick, but has since been cropped down almost to the dirt. So it is sort of dense, but I would estimate most shoots are no more than 1/4" to 1/2" long.

I plan to drill soybeans into the wheat over most of this area. I hope to do this in mid-June or so, I want "late" beans on purpose. I will frost seed clover though over some of the wheat.

[ QUOTE ]

I plan to drill soybeans into the wheat over most of this area. I hope to do this in mid-June or so, I want "late" beans on purpose.

[/ QUOTE ]

Farmland had good luck drilling beans into rye and wheat and then just leaving the grain standing.

Kinda looked like the deer didn't like getting their eyes poked on the straw and left it alone.

Otherwise I'm afraid the beans will be munched off before they ever get a chance to grow
crazy.gif

Always more n one way to skin a cat!
waytogo.gif

I'm going to experiment with late field peas this year. Beans early just never get ahead of the deer for me so let'em munch and I'll do the peas in July.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to experiment with late field peas this year. Beans early just never get ahead of the deer for me so let'em munch and I'll do the peas in July.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to try some very early in the spring to see if in fact they won't eat the little peas.

I'm still curious about that part because you wouldn't think they would be that much different then AWP's
confused.gif

Either way...if they do eat them the'll act as bait to draw deer away from my corn if they don't then I'll be planting some in July also!

One thing about it...if pharmer and I can plant anything that will last until fall without be grubbed to the ground...it's good stuff
grin.gif

Sometimes I wonder just how many "deer per acre" I have anyway
smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Sometimes I wonder just how many "deer per acre" I have anyway

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not counting the snowbirds that come down just for vacation are you?
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Farmland had good luck drilling beans into rye and wheat and then just leaving the grain standing.

Kinda looked like the deer didn't like getting their eyes poked on the straw and left it alone.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was unintentional but it did have some interesting results ... we no-till drilled soybeans into a stand of ww/rye in April so the ww/rye would be sort of a cover crop for the young beans and maybe take some of the grazing pressure. We planned to apply roundup in May/June but the rye kept growing, suppressed most of the weed competition and developed seed heads. As the rye matured and died off, the beans kept growing but where not grazed as heavily as an adjacent field of pure soybeans. In late August we planned to disk the field and broadcast brassicas but the rye had reseeded itself and the beans looked pretty good so we just left it alone. It's been a great draw this fall with a fresh carpet of rye and an overstory of beans. It made a cheap, effective foodplot for us. No hebicide, no fertilizer, just one pass with the no-till drill this spring.

One of my favorite foodplots is 50# winter wheat, 50# rye, and 40# Austrian Winter Peas per acre ... no-tilled. We usually drill this mix into standing soybeans in late August. Let it grow the next spring, disk it up again in August, and broadcast brassicas after disking. The second fall you have a great mix of wheat, rye, peas, and brassicas ... if your foodplots are on a budget like ours, this mix makes a cheap plot that deer love and you can get at least two years out of with minimal expense. From my experience deer are attracted to this mix from September through the following April.

[ QUOTE ]
No herbicide, no fertilizer, just one pass with the no-till drill this spring.

[/ QUOTE ]
Can't beat that Rob! Did you find me one of those no-till drills "on special" yet?
grin.gif

Top Bottom