Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Wolf Spider??

bowman

Super Moderator
My wife is a big chicken when it comes to spiders. While out cutting wood today I get a call that I have to come see the largest spider ever!:D She has seen Wolf Spiders but this one was larger and she and my daughter didn't think it looked like the markings on the Wolf Spiders that they looked up on line. I think it is a Wolf Spider.

Prove me right please.........;)

1040-spider_1.jpg

The back left leg is inured.

Very hard to tell by the photo but my educated guess is either a Wolf or Fisher spider, both found in Iowa, the main difference between the two is that female Wolf spiders carry their eggs externally beneath the abdomen. Both are venomous but will not affect humans. In fact, they both prey on the infamous brown recluse as a major part of their diet.

My wife is now somewhat convinced that it is a Philippine Dwarf Taranchula.:grin: She researched them and they are sold in pet stores. She thinks that it is an escapee.:D

I'm going with Wolf Spider but can't argue with the Fisher Spider. She swears that the markings are not the same, or too big for the Fisher.

She already let it go a ways from the house so let's hope it is a native.:confused:

I don't know if that is a wolf spider or not, but you know they are big ones when they carry their change along with them like that one! :D

It would be called a dead spider if it was within sight of me after I quit screaming like a little girl.

There I was, early muzzleloader season in Kansas 2005.
Walking through a small grove of trees and could feel some very thick spider webs dragging across my arms and face as I walked through the timber.
I looked down and there it was... a spider about that size, on my leg.
I swatted it, and let out a girlish scream and ran off for about 20 yards with the adrenaline pumping.
I was in some brush at the edge of an opening in the timber, and I could see them everywhere as the sun glistened off the dew covered grass.
My eyes then focused on one that was literally inches from my face.
When they are that close to your face, they look huge.

Shear, underwear-filling terror.

Usain Bolt couldn't have caught me as I ran in the opposite direction.

Good Lord you guys are a bunch of pansies.

"Scheer underwear filling terror" got me chuckling.

There I was, early muzzleloader season in Kansas 2005.
Walking through a small grove of trees and could feel some very thick spider webs dragging across my arms and face as I walked through the timber.
I looked down and there it was... a spider about that size, on my leg.
I swatted it, and let out a girlish scream and ran off for about 20 yards with the adrenaline pumping.
I was in some brush at the edge of an opening in the timber, and I could see them everywhere as the sun glistened off the dew covered grass.
My eyes then focused on one that was literally inches from my face.
When they are that close to your face, they look huge.

Shear, underwear-filling terror.

Usain Bolt couldn't have caught me as I ran in the opposite direction.

Too funny.... Great post :way:

Top Bottom