Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Women advice

I didn't read thru all the prior posts, I did catch the word "girlfriend" in this like I'm sure everyone else did. Just be frigin careful. Yes, if you're 100% sure she's the right one to marry, work it out, of course, the right wife (and dang well might not be, that's why we have girlfriends & date) is worth its wait in gold but many people don't pick the right wife. The bible also talks a lot about the nagging wife too so it's something to think about & be careful about. Not saying any of this fits your case BUT it sure sounds like the facts are there - she's your GIRLFRIEND & not wife. This has 6 pages of response because folks have so many opinions and lessons learned on this topic, it's a dang hard one & I bet this thread could get to 20 pages if folks start throwing in their relationship experiences of the past & lessons learned.

It will start out with not wanting shoulder mounts next thing you know you will be sitting on a bench in the mall the first week of November instead of a treestand. It's a slippery slope. My advice would be make sure you are both aware of each others passions and flaws before you get married. Actually sit down and talk about them. It will save some fights down the road. Our agreement was she can do whatever she wants with the main level and the basement is mine. Then all I had to do was find a house with a nice open basement. We did and I think I got the better end of the deal.

First 2 sentences made me laugh. The rest pretty much sums up how my domestic life is going and all is right in the world.

HA!! Mall bench sitter... still cracking me up.

First 2 sentences made me laugh. The rest pretty much sums up how my domestic life is going and all is right in the world.

HA!! Mall bench sitter... still cracking me up.

Agreed, that one cracked me up too! Bowtech84 should be a sit-com writer. :D

Perhaps the mall could designate a bench where all of the camo-clad dudes can sit together and at least talk about deer hunting...as long as their wives never hear them that is. :D

I have spare room in the house that has I guess become my den where I put my manly stuff and the wife has no say what is done in that room

She's a girlfriend...keep it that way. Own your own house & stuff - be your own boss. The day a man is broken is the day he stops doing things he loves. And when that happens he starts to die inside becoming a zombie to follow the nag.

When I was dating my girlfriend (now my wife for 14yrs) I had a one bedroom apt with a den. I had some mounts in both rooms. No one in her family ever hunted. This was all new to her and somewhat strange. As she got to know me better and having conservations about why I love to hunt and what it meant to me she didn't have any issues. We now have a house. I have most of my trophies in my home office, one in the great room over the fireplace, and some in the finished garage.
As my mounts accumulate I told her i was considering moving everything to the great room to gain more wall space. She wasn't too happy about this. I asked her why and she said, " I don't want it to look like a hunting lodge". I sure as heck don't mind!
I didn't push the issue but I know through talking about it I could move them in that room.

BTW I told her to pick any date for the wedding EXCEPT NOV. You guessed it, smack in the middle of NOV. Needless to say, I'm out hunting dark to dark every year on our anniversary.

My suggestion to you is, cross your bridge NOW and have a conservation with your gf.
Let her know what hunting is all about to you, why you go, and what your mounts mean to you. She might not change her perspective right away. Give it a little time.
If she's still holding to the 2-3 mounts is enough and won't compromise, I'd find another GF who understands what's important to you.

I took my dad's advice. He said wait until your old to get married, then, if you don't like it,,you don't have long to put up with it :). I stayed single until 50. I took care of my ill parents all my life as an only child. By 50 was thinkin was getting kinda lonely doin everything by myself. So went to the interenet just to find a ,"friend", to hang out with. Friends told me,,women are not interested in being, "Friends". they may say this at first but they are really looking for permanent friendship, like together for ever. I emailed my now wife from MI to Memphis Tenn. At first just emails and calls, then I went down to meet. We hit it off. Same world view,same belief in God. She and her family never hunted . I had mounts of various animals all over. She thought it was strange at first having "dead animals" ,on your walls. As she got to like venison and understand the work and skill involved in harvesting and preserving, she now is quite into my hunting. She helps get out the deer and cut the meat. She still has a tender spot though for the death and I like it that she does!

I took my dad's advice. He said wait until your old to get married, then, if you don't like it,,you don't have long to put up with it :). I stayed single until 50. I took care of my ill parents all my life as an only child. By 50 was thinkin was getting kinda lonely doin everything by myself. So went to the interenet just to find a ,"friend", to hang out with. Friends told me,,women are not interested in being, "Friends". they may say this at first but they are really looking for permanent friendship, like together for ever. I emailed my now wife from MI to Memphis Tenn. At first just emails and calls, then I went down to meet. We hit it off. Same world view,same belief in God. She and her family never hunted . I had mounts of various animals all over. She thought it was strange at first having "dead animals" ,on your walls. As she got to like venison and understand the work and skill involved in harvesting and preserving, she now is quite into my hunting. She helps get out the deer and cut the meat. She still has a tender spot though for the death and I like it that she does!

I gotta ask, did it rain on your wedding day?

just kidding :D

Did she have an interest in the weather at least. Figure that would have pretty much sealed the deal!!!

Not as much as me. She lived in the City, Memphis Tenn. Everyone lives in Airconditioning most of the time inside. She was raised on a farm in Iowa though. Once we got out here growing things, she became aware again of how important the weather was or is.:eek:

My now ex gf and the new gf both got the same talk about my priorities, my son, my job, deer huntin, then them, also let them know that there are deer heads, racks, sheds, fish, turkeys, squirlles, and a bobcat in the living room and bed room, if they couldn't deal w/ that or my huntin they needed to go ahead and move on down the line bc I was huntin before I met them and would be huntin after I forgot them. Neither of them had a problem w/ it, the only reason the ex is now an ex is bc I caught her cheating while I was at work making a living to take care of her and her son. The new gf quickly got a rag and went to dusting the mounts. The ex sent me a txt last week asking if I'd come by her new house since I was off, I quickly reminded her that there was only (at te time) 47 days till bow season and I didn't have time to mess w/ her bc I had cameras to hang, stands to move, and shoot my bow on my off time.

My now ex gf and the new gf both got the same talk about my priorities, my son, my job, deer huntin, then them, also let them know that there are deer heads, racks, sheds, fish, turkeys, squirlles, and a bobcat in the living room and bed room, if they couldn't deal w/ that or my huntin they needed to go ahead and move on down the line bc I was huntin before I met them and would be huntin after I forgot them.

That had to be a killer pick up line :D

NWBuck

Top Bottom