Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Wood tick stories.....

Old Buck

Life Member
Seems like an appropriate time for...wood tick stories. I'll start.

A number of years ago my wife and I were turkey hunting near Osceola and got into tick country. We hunted until noon and by the time we left the woods I'd pulled 52 ticks off myself. About drove my wife nuts. It was in a timber grazed by cattle. I don't know if that had anything to do with it but there sure were lots of them in that area.

Your turn.

Old buck

When I worked for the DNR in north centra Minnesota. We spent many hours in the timber tracking and collering deer. My personnal best for a day was 124 ticks. They were everywhere, and i mean everywhere. Id be taking bearings on a deer, and all of a sudden, oh no i got another one. Of course i usually found about ten more.
wall.gif

EEEYYYYAAAACHCHHHHH!!!

You guys are making my skin crawl.

Want to see something funny? Tell muddy that he has a tick on him. Only recently have I stopped doing a full blown panic but instead do a (as Pat McMannis calls it) Modified Stationary Panic, or MSP for short. Consists of jumping around and hollering instead of flat out going berzerk.

ticks are the
threaddevil.gif

I must be either lucky or I stink...easy there guys. In around 36 years or so of tromping around the woods I've only had 2 ticks that were embedded on me. On the rare occasion that I find one crawling on my clothing it looks to be in a hurry to get off.
waytogo.gif
I've often wondered if some peoples metabalisms just aren't user friendly to certain bugs. I can also grab, roll around in, do pretty much anything with poison ivy and not be effected by it. Go figure.
angel.gif

If anyone has ever hunted in Arkansas then you probably know all about SEED TICK'S!!!They crawl in all the spot's you do not want them to and bite the #$%$ out of you.They are about the size of a pinhead but man do they carry a NASTY bite.I spray all my clothing with tick spray and keep them in bag's now before I hunt down there.
shocked.gif

I seem to have more of a problem with ticks in tall or heavy grass than in the timber. My house is surrounded by 60 acres of CRP grass and it is full of ticks. Last night while I was mowing my Britt was running arround exploring in the high grass and I took 5 ticks off of him then. We use Frontline all the time and it is great. If ticks bite in it kills them. This morning there were 8 more dead ticks in his bed from overnight. I wish they made something like Frontline for us humans. I'm with Muddy, just talking about this make me feel all kinds of things crawling arround under my cloths.
eek.gif

All of this tick talk reminded me of an incredible tick tale. My wife's aunt went to the doctor to have a mole removed. The nurse began to prep her and noticed another "spot". After several doctors and nurses examined the weird looking black spot, the doctor began to try and remove it as he would a mole. After the first incision it was discoverd to be a tick that had found its way under the skin.
She had no idea it was even there. My skin is crawling just writing about it. I now check myself every time I come back in from the great outdoors.

mole

What is the best way that you guys know to get a tick to let go of you or get his head to back out?

Every year around mid-May, I turkey hunt in the public land surrounding Rathbun Lake and the ticks are thick down there. It seems that I'll get the wood or dog ticks more so in the tall grass, but I get the pinhead deer ticks in the woods. I've done a couple of things to help combat getting those suckers on me. One, I don't sit directly on the ground. I used a DB blind last year and sat in a little turkey chair. Secondly, I also spray my hunting clothes with tick repellent, which lasts for 2 weeks. Lastly, I feel the best defense against ticks is to wear Ryno Skins (http://www.rynoskin.com) . They are tight form fitting outfits that prevents ticks from getting to those nasty areas of the body. Of course, you still need to check yourself, but I haven't had a tick attached in 2 years.

As for removing a tick, I have always used a pair of tweezers and pulled directly up until they are detached.

BiMo

Many, Many, years ago my brother and I were investigating a local marsh for bullfrogs, turtles and such. When we discovered that we had many tag along friends it was a little to late. I can still remember my brother running a fine toothed comb through his hair and seeing the comb come out crawling with DOZENS of ticks. He later found that one had attached deep inside his ear. This one required a trip to the doctor to get it removed. Fortunately for me it was just a matter of BRIEF PANIC while shedding my clothes and looking myself over with a mirror. They always seem to find the WORST places to hide.
shocked.gif

Mushroom hunting early May 2001 I picked up 68 ticks one evening in about two hours. I have always been a "tick" magnet but seldom do they draw blood. It helps to have a very hairy body so few go undetected for long, I guess you don't need the fine details. My point is, the best tasting mushrooms come with a price.

Another thing comes to mind, maybe to ticks are eating the sheds I can't seem to locate in this area, food for thought.

Top Bottom