Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Would you shot mountain lion in Iowa?

Would you shot a Cougar in Iowa.

• Yes I would

Votes: 160 87.4%
  • I would not

Votes: 16 8.7%
  • They should be protected

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • We need a hunting season on them

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Just looking

Votes: 3 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't worry about being attacked but feel if they are protected in Iowa there is the possibility of someone getting attacked as well as livestock, pets. ect. I just don't feel Iowa has appropriate habitat for them due to our lack of large uninhabited areas....

BINGO!!! When they were extirpated in the 1860's what do you guys think our landscape looked like? Corn and beans and timber? No... More like VAST expanses of prairie and oak savannah habitat, with few large timbers other than along rivers. Now what do we have? We have fragmented, non-native habitat with people/livestock almost everywhere. Large carnivores which have very large home ranges just will not fit into the mix or blend in well. It's cool that we have a few running around but we just aren't set up to successfully (which could be defined many different ways) maintain a breeding population of cougars. So why protect them?

[QUOTEBy the way I would like the link to your graph so I can read where it is from. Thanks. ][/QUOTE]

I didn't save it and can't find it now. sorry.

I think what JNRBronc was getting at by saying comparing Iowa to Wyoming and Montana is apples and oranges is dead on. IowaQDM, with all due respect, you used the two western states with the lowest population density of people, but has a rather high population of mountain lions. If you want more apples-apples comparison of western states, look at CA, AZ, NM, CO, UT, and NV that have population densities (human) comparable to Iowa, yet have a very healthy population of mt. lions. Then look at how many people in those states recreate in the 708-80% public land (HUGE number) and how many people are actually attacked by mt. lions (VERY small number, almost statistically insignificant). Yes, any attack is significant, but when you start hiking, running, biking, camping, hunting, etc, in mt. lion habitat, you take your chances and the odds are in your favor of not ever even seeing one. As I've said before, I've lived among them for coming up on 12 yeas now and have only ever seen 2 in all my time in the middle of nowhere hunting, hiking, fishing, etc. Iowa has had something like 12 or fewer in the last decade? I agree with DannyBoy that the habitat isn't fully there anymore in Iowa and I seriously doubt based on my own experiences and research that a breeding population will ever get established. While I've only ever seen 2 (including the one at < 30'), I've found their fresh tracks on top of mine, indicating I was folllowed. I've found fresh scrapes that still smelled of urea. I've found kills that were hours old and knew one was watching me. Yes, they are curious, as are all cats, but they are not indiscriminate killers. Ghost in the Darkness was an example of 2 individual lions that found some easy pickings, but recent research showed that only one of those 2 actually went after humans regularly (don't have the link anymore). It was not an example of the species as a whole. We have several communities out here in AZ, as well as other western states (esp CO and CA), where people have built there homes in the mountains and mt lions are all over that area, yet they never bother anyone or anyone's pets, so "large uninhabited areas" are not essential for mt. lions. Mt. lions are not protected in any of the western states and are hunted regularly, so protecting them (or not) won't have any bearing on whether or not people get attacked. I'm not advocating protecting them and I'm not opposed to hunting them. I'm simply trying to dispel the myths and misnomers that mt lions are indiscriminate killers and should be shot on sight out of fear of getting eaten. Anyway, I think we've gotten way off track from Blake's original post and question, which, in part, is due to my original post. I'm just trying to provide a little understanding and education about what mt. lions are and are not. Again, respectfully...

Alright, so coming from a state where "they dont exsist" but the DNR Reg/laws book states "its illegal to kill them" its really intresting to see what you all think. :)

Good thread.

I worry about a lot of things,
.my family in an accident
.my families health
.local economy
.my daughter growing older etc. etc.

Getting attacked by a mountain lion is not even on the radar screen, I honestly think I'd let it walk. Just another hunter.

"I've found their fresh tracks on top of mine, indicating I was folllowed. I've found fresh scrapes that still smelled of urea. I've found kills that were hours old and knew one was watching me. Yes, they are curious, as are all cats, but they are not indiscriminate killers."

AZHunter,
I don't get the point you or JNRBronc are making. The point I'm trying to make is that 2 out of 3 acres of the Western 11 States is uninhabited. In each of the 11 Western States there are large areas of uninhabited land ranging from tens of thousands of acres to millions of acres. I don't care if a Western State has 50 million people living in it if that population is concentrated in just a few large cities and along narrow strips of land along roadways with the rest of the State being basically uninhabited. You can't compare it to Iowa. My point is a cat living in Iowa will come into contact with humans, livestock, pets, ect. It's a sure bet. If they are protected they wont have any fear of humans which will only increase the chance of potential attacks on livestock, pets and possibly humans. I agree with you that cats are not indiscriminate killers because they are opportunistic killers and will kill anything they view as potential prey at any time. I have elk hunted out West and never worried about being attacked because they are hunted and for the most part fear man. I have even seen mountain lion tracks while elk hunting. However, let me emphasize again: I don't worry about being attacked but feel if they are protected in Iowa there is the possibility of someone getting attacked as well as livestock, pets. ect. I just don't feel Iowa has appropriate habitat for them due to our lack of large uninhabited areas and feel that they should be shot if seen.

I have hunted about everything I can in this state. I have traveled to other states to hunt. I am a hunter and have no shame in saying so. Like it or not, I would not think twice given the opportunity to legally harvest one of these magnificent animals.

"Mountain lions will only attack if surprised or threatened" Sure would hate to be the fella that surprises or threatens that there kittty as I walk to my stand in the dark with nothin more than a few pointed sticks to save my arse.

I really don't want to get involved in this debate because I view it as basically a non-issue. A non-issue? Yeah, because I would doubt that there are 5 mt lions in the state of Iowa right now and odds are they will be shot on sight (a 10:1 ratio of shoot on sight to not based on this poll), and thus we will never have to "worry about these evil predators".

The point I'm trying to make is that 2 out of 3 acres of the Western 11 States is uninhabited. In each of the 11 Western States there are large areas of uninhabited land ranging from tens of thousands of acres to millions of acres. I don't care if a Western State has 50 million people living in it if that population is concentrated in just a few large cities and along narrow strips of land along roadways with the rest of the State being basically uninhabited. You can't compare it to Iowa. My point is a cat living in Iowa will come into contact with humans, livestock, pets, ect. It's a sure bet.

IowaQDM, let me see if I can get my point across a little more clearly. First, what is your definition of uninhabited? No, those public lands aren't covered by big cities; however, I wouldn't classify them as "uninhabited" for several reasons. And to preface this, I grew up in Iowa for 24 years before living here in AZ for almost 12 years with a few other western states thrown in. I'll use AZ as my example. The only truly "uninhabited" public lands out here are Federally designated wildernesses. The vast majority of the the public lands out here (Forest Service for simplicity's sake) is managed for grazing leases. We don't have the big private ranches that Montanna, Wyoming, and Texas have or the private farms that make up most of Iowa. So most tracts of FS land are fairly heavily and consistently grazed. The ranchers are out there with there ranch managers or cowboys regularly upkeeping range improvements (fences, corrals, small "cabins", stock tanks, pumps, etc.). Phoenix has something like 6 million people and Tucson is just under a million, our two biggest metropolitans. We have several towns scattered throughout the state that are completely surrounded by public lands (Flagstaff, Prescott, Williams, Crown King, Springerville, Alpine, etc.). Several of these remind me of the small towns near where I grew up in Iowa (Laurel, Kellog, Lambs Grove, Colfax, Mingo, etc.) and are considered Wildland Urban Interfaces where the public lands are frequently used and inhabited. Mt. lions run throughout those towns and on the outskirts. Here in my neighborhood, we've had 2 mt lions within 3 miles, including one just around the corner. We had a bear 1/4-mile from our office downtown Flagstaff. In Tucson, we lived on the outskirts of the west side, near the Tucson Mountains and had a mt. lion within 200 yards of our house on 3 occasions. If you go south out of Prescott, you run through the communities of Groom Creek, Potato Patch, and Walker all of which are nestled within private inholdings right in the middle of the Prescott National Forest and that NF if heavily used by all kinds of folks. On top of that, lots of people don't want to live "in town" so they build a house surrounded by NF. Our public lands are far from inhabited and remind me a great deal of the "nature/city" interfaces I grew up with. All of those areas have high concentrations of mt. lions and there haven't been any attacks recorded in years. I don't have the stats in front of me, but I can only think of one in the last decade. Very few, if any, of the people living in those communities are worried about them r their family being attacked, or losing pets. I know of a few mt. lions from friends that hunt them that have hidden under porches for safety and never touched anyone around them. I'd probably get my point across much easier if we could sit down over a beer or take you around and show you just how "inhabited" our public lands are. Respectfully (and I don't mean to sound condescending), coming out west to hunt once in a while versus living out here among everything are two different things. Iowa probably doesn't have the habitat to sustain a large (or even sustaining) population, but I would highly doubt your chances of an encounter in Iowa (from growing up there) are greater than the chances of an encounter out here, given the population density of people (both states having a great deal of small communities scattered all about) and the few lions occurring in Iowa. As I've said before, I wouldn't hesitate to shoot one if it was in immeidate defense of myself, my family, or my pets; but I wouldn't shoot one on sight out of the shear possibility that it will becaus I know the odds are that it won't attack.

If they are protected they wont have any fear of humans which will only increase the chance of potential attacks on livestock, pets and possibly humans. I agree with you that cats are not indiscriminate killers because they are opportunistic killers and will kill anything they view as potential prey at any time. I have elk hunted out West and never worried about being attacked because they are hunted and for the most part fear man. I have even seen mountain lion tracks while elk hunting. However, let me emphasize again: I don't worry about being attacked but feel if they are protected in Iowa there is the possibility of someone getting attacked as well as livestock, pets. ect. I just don't feel Iowa has appropriate habitat for them due to our lack of large uninhabited areas and feel that they should be shot if seen.

I can't disagree with your argument here and definitely know that hunted predators have definitely learned to fear humans. I will, however, offer a counter point that shows the exact opposite. The Florida Panther (a subspecies of mt. lion) is Federally protected by the Endangered Species Act. Killing one will get you a $10,000 fine and/or some time in a Federal Prison, not to mention loss of all your hunting rights and ability to own any firearms. With those protections (since 1967), there have been absolutely no attacks on humans and its a similar situation as Iowa: very few (less than 30 now?) lions and a high interaction with people. They haven't been hunted in close to 50 years, so the ones left today have never known anything but Federal protection, yet they have a fear of humans and don't stalk or attack adults, kids, pets, etc. And I hope I demonstrated above that you dont need "large uninhabited areas" to have a sustaining population of mt. lions. And to reiterate again, in no way am I advocating protecting them in Iowa or anywhere else. I'm just trying to enlighten the world about them.

I like the way 150 Class stated it (and a few others). He's a hunter and he wants to hunt one for the sake of hunting one because, to him, it would be cool; plain and simple (no apologies necessary in my book, 150).

ya.... I'd still shoot it, everytime!

shakehead.gif
rolleyes.gif

AZHunter,
I will agree that hunting out West is not the same as living out there. I am 35 years old. I started elk hunting at age 14. I have spent 2 weeks every year since chasing elk out West with the exception of a few years I was in college. I have been in several Western States from Southern Colorado to Northern Colorado to Idaho, Wyoming and Montana. I can tell you that I realize that the National Forests see plenty of recreational use from camping, hiking, biking, atvs, dirt biking and hunting. However the vast majority of those recreational activities (other than the hunting) occurs on designated trials and roads. Most of these trails are old jeep trails or horse trails. The majority of the recreational users don't go into the remote areas where the mountain lions spend most of their time. All of the mountain lion sign I have seen out West was in places I probably shouldn't have been in anyway. All were canyons that I had a hard time getting into and out of just carrying my bow. I will say that there are many remote areas that I would classify as uninhabited. I wouldn't consider an occasional ranch hand on horse back during the summer checking cattle or three-four months of hunting pressure inhabited. Especially when 95% of the hunters out West don't go into these remote canyons. Also the home range of mountain lions can be huge. So the odds of them coming in contact with someone is still very unlikely given the remote areas they spend most of their time, yet they still fear man due to the hunting pressure.

Please note the text I bolded below.

From Wikipedia: Mountain Lions
"Estimates of territory sizes vary greatly." "In the United States, very large ranges have been reported in Texas and the Black Hills of the northern Great Plains, in excess of 775 km2 (300 sq mi).[39] Male ranges may include or overlap with those of females but, at least where studied, not with those of other males, which serves to reduce conflict between cougars. Ranges of females may overlap slightly with each other."
"Its most important prey species are various deer species, particularly in North America; mule deer, white-tailed deer, elk, and even large moose are taken by the cat. Other species such as Bighorn Sheep, wild horses of Arizona, domestic horses, and domestic livestock such as cattle and sheep are also primary food bases in many areas."

You stated in your last post:
"I will, however, offer a counter point that shows the exact opposite. The Florida Panther (a subspecies of mt. lion) is Federally protected by the Endangered Species Act. Killing one will get you a $10,000 fine and/or some time in a Federal Prison, not to mention loss of all your hunting rights and ability to own any firearms. With those protections (since 1967), there have been absolutely no attacks on humans and its a similar situation as Iowa: very few (less than 30 now?) lions and a high interaction with people. They haven't been hunted in close to 50 years, so the ones left today have never known anything but Federal protection, yet they have a fear of humans and don't stalk or attack adults, kids, pets, etc. And I hope I demonstrated above that you dont need "large uninhabited areas" to have a sustaining population of mt. lions."

I don't feel the Florida Panther example supports your point considering their habitat is largely areas of uninhabited Florida Everglades much of that area is made up of Everglades National park, Big Cyprus National Preserve, and Florida Panther National Wildlife Refuge. Also because they are an endangered subspecies. The mountain lions out West are actually overpopulated in many areas which is why the young males are pushed out of their primary habitat and end up in areas they shouldn't be like close to towns and even Iowa.

Please note the text I bolded below.

From Wikipedia: Florida Panther
"The Florida panther is a highly threatened representative of cougar (Puma concolor) that lives in the low tides, palm forests and swamps of southern Florida in the United States."
"Males weigh about 169 pounds and live within a range that includes the Big Cypress National Preserve, Everglades National Park, and the Florida Panther National Wildlife Refuge.[4] This population, the only unequivocal cougar representative in the eastern United States, currently occupies only 5% of its historic range. The number of living Florida panthers is estimated to be between 80 and 100.[5]"
"It was formerly considered Critically Endangered by the IUCN, but it has not been listed since 2008. Recovery efforts are currently underway in Florida to conserve the state's remaining population of native panthers. This is a difficult task, as the panther requires contiguous areas of habitateach breeding unit, consisting of one male and two to five females, requires about 200 square miles (500 km2) of habitat.[10] A population of 240 panthers would require 8,000 to 12,000 square miles (31,000 km2) of habitat and sufficient genetic diversity in order to avoid inbreeding as a result of small population size. The introduction of eight female cougars from a closely related Texas population has apparently been successful in mitigating inbreeding problems." "The primary threats to the population as a whole include habitat loss, habitat degradation, and habitat fragmentation."

You stated in your last post: "I wouldn't shoot one on sight out of the shear possibility that it will becaus I know the odds are that it won't attack."

I agree but you live in a State with appropriate habitat for mountain lions.

You stated in your last post: "And to reiterate again, in no way am I advocating protecting them in Iowa or anywhere else."

I agree and will just add that there is absolutely no BIOLOGICAL reason to protect mountain lions in Iowa.

Last edited:
Iowaqdm, I have run out of energy and time to continue this discussion here (and its been a good one). Again, with all due respect, Wikipedia is not high on my list of credible sources of information, especially regarding Federally protected species that has tons and tons of more human contact than what Wikipedia says. Trust me, I've had to make scientific decisions here in AZ based on Federal court cases centering around the Florida panther. I know all of the stats/data on mt. lions as a professional wildlife biologist that has been involved in studies on them and can add that male mt lions' home ranges are frequently much larger than what Wikipedia says. There are tons of large uninhabited tracts of public land in the states you mention (MT and WY) and they are not good examples of the entire western US for this discussion b/c of their low human population density compared to mt lion density compared to public land. You have an open invitation to come to AZ anytime to see great examples of how lions don't need large uninhabited tracts of land and how they survive quite well in areas that are anything but remote, which was the point I was trying to get across. We have a very healthy population of mt. lions and bears here in and around Flagstaff and its anything but remote. I'll even take you hunting if you like and buy you a cold beer.

Top Bottom