Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Wounded Buck, I'm Nervous

I think you can track a deer with a dog for recovery purposes. You just can't actively hunt them with dogs. That's the way I understand it!

Guys, if there is water near by... make sure you check all the water areas, he will be wanting to cool off from the fever!! Had liver shot buck once, arrow was dripping with solid red blood. Watched the deer run close to 200 yards across pasture, let him lay for 8 hours and went back to find him another 200 yards inside timber with no blood to track, it all bleeds internally due to guts and fat pluggin hole. He is dead, just have to really look hard. Get a map and think like a deer.

Just the fact, that the blood trail was that good and at first and the fact it was good BLOOD, leads me to believe it wasnt pure gut shot. maybe it exited guts but Im with everyone else, liver sounds likely. And if they did jump him in the corn and the he was labored breathing it would only make sence with a punctured diaphram.

Good luck.

Not telling you anything you don't already know Thomas but I'd be looking in the direction he was headed + 200-300 yards from last blood and then in the thickest, nastiest cover that lies at about that distance and start there. I've been there a few times myself in the past several years and it blows.

I went out again this afternoon for a couple hours.... nada..... I have one last place I think is worth a good look, but after that I'm afraid I'm not sure..... I agree, it blows.....

Man I just want to come help you look all day!! I have been there and I looked all day for a real nice buck. I got a call from the land owner the next spring. He found him in the creek, said he had been the some time. I Must have skipped just a few yards of that creek cause it was on a bend and thats exactly where the landowner found him. We knew he went that direction and felt we look everywhere possible but you really have to check every square inch it seems like. Doesn't take much to hide a deer. I hope you find him just for piece of mind cause it bother me so much I said I wasn't going to bowhunt anymore, which I knew that would never happen but you feel that way. Good Luck Thomas.

Get a hot air ballon and go over it real slow....
smile.gif
Hope ya find him.

I found one that I had liver shot...but it's not the best method. I knew the area he had headed...and there were a ton of blow downs. I had shot him at this time of year. I waited 3 weeks until one of those rare hot days with a wind that picks up every stinking thing. Sure enough...my nose led him to him. I tagged him and cut the rack off because I figured I had ended his life. He was laying in a blow down on the edge of the river...I honestly don't know if I would have ever found him know matter how long I looked without him starting to stink.

My buddy had the excact same thing happen Friday evening. couldn't check that night cause the creek was full went out the next morning had good blood for couple hundred yards then slowly went to none. Spent 8 hrours scouring the area and didn't find it. Hope you're wife has better luck.

Get a hot air ballon and go over it real slow....
smile.gif
Hope ya find him.

No kidding.. With an arrow like that, that deer is dead..

We had a guy come out and fly his plane over an unpicked cornfield and find a dead deer before.. If you know someone who could do it, it works well!

Does that arrow look bent at the fletchings? Could just be a deceiving pic, but it usually takes a brush with heavy bone to bend an arrow on a pass through.

Top Bottom