Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

WOW, I carry too much stuff with me.

Liv4Rut

I finally weighed everything that I carry in and out each time I hunt. Sometimes over a mile through some nasty terrain and cannot believe the weight. I carry way too much crap with me but yet there isn't much stuff wouldn't want to have on me when I don't know where I am going and plan on sitting all day or most the day.

Everything I carry in and on the pack includes:

My badlands 2200, LW alpha, 4 sticks, 7 straps, 4 extensions, hooeyman saw, pruner, 2 bottles of water, an underarmour shirt, whistle, 2 pairs of gutting gloves, one knife, one grunt call, 4 granola bars, rope style tree attachment, one set of pop tarts, the butt out tool, head lamp, small flash light, release, 2 AA batteries, bibs, safety vest and pull over.

Grand Total Weight = 53 Pounds!! What is crazy is this didn't include the 70 inch plus sides set of rattling antlers and my wicked gear tree saw and the extra Mt. Dew I usually have. No wonder I have a bad ankle, plus I am about 50lbs overweight to begin with.

I remember back when I used to have all my stands set and all I would have to do is show up in the morning with a couple snacks, something to drink and a grunt call. You would think as I get older I would get smarter LOL. It seems all I do is add more crap to the bag.

Last edited:
I was thinking the same thing the other day. So, I went through my pack and was going to take out everything that I did not absolutely have to have. And, I ended up adding a few things.

Ya'll are crazy. I would rather bust my ass in the spring and hang 20 sets in the right spots, with shooting lanes trimmed, than try to walk in in the morning and hang and hunt. I would sweat like a whore in church if I did that, and than be miserable the rest of the day. I know you guys save a ton of money by only needing a couple stands and sets of sticks, but that is crazy to me :grin: I always keep a couple stands and sets of sticks aside if I need to be "mobile" on a new found biggin, but for the most part I know I'm in proven spots come fall. Damn, you guys must look like pack mules going into the woods in the morning! :grin:

Im with dedgeez on this one. I can see hang and hunt if you want to try a
new setup once in a while, but everytime!! Its hard not to sweat just walking
in let alone hanging, trimming etc.

On most of my hunts out here in AZ, I carry pretty close to that weight and that doesn't include any gear associated with a treestand. I actually managed to strip a bunch of weight before coming back to Iowa and then added it right back with my sticks and stand.

I used to carry a backpack full of crap and just got tired of it. Now I have a small waist/ fanny pack to carry essentials and that's it. I have a rule, if it doesn't fit in the fanny pack i don't need it. My life is a lot easier and lighter now.

Now I have a small waist/ fanny pack to carry essentials and that's it. I have a rule, if it doesn't fit in the fanny pack i don't need it.

Why am I picturing this? :D

picture.php

Just givin ya some chit Ben! :grin:

Why am I picturing this? :D

Just givin ya some chit Ben! :grin:

Mine is way cooler....it's camo!!!

In all seriousness I hunt a lot with a climber. It's the climber, my bow, and the camo fanny pack with essential. only...including napkins.....everything else stays in the truck or home. Only time i bring food or water is if i am planning an all day sit. I can handle hunting 3-4 hours on a morning or evening sit without food or water. I think you guys who carry a full set of horns are crazy!

Eyelet screws in the bottom of the antlers and a bungee cord will fix that problem. Open up the eyelets once screwed into the antlers. Insert bungee cord and pinch the eyelet closed. Once on the cord wrap them around the back of your waist and hook the bungee hooks to your linesmens loops on your safety harness and pull the antlers out to the sides of your legs and you are done. Very quiet, just need to watch banging your bow into them as you walk...

I was scared off this exact problem when I bought my new pack. I can see having a tree/lanes already setup for a LW setup and going in the dark but I cant imagine trying to find a tree and having to trim branches and get things hung quietly. I keep my LW handy when I need/want to go mobile. But my existing setups are my bread and butter.

I carry a Hooyman, headlight, snacks, grunt & can call, antlers, sweatshirt, screw in bow hanger.

You have the buttout tool did you forget too add the cruncher? I carry all my clothes strapped to my pack and that about does me in let alone a stand and sticks thats crazy

My badlands 2200, LW alpha, 4 sticks, 7

Liv,
If you get time could you please post a picture on how you attach them?

I was going to pull my Badlands for storage remembering talk about
using one and was wondering how you guys do it.

I simply do not have enough pockets to carry everything. :eek:

Thanks in advance.

I have since gone to just wrapping my sticks with my jacket and putting them on the pack with my rattling horns. I carry my bow in one hand, stand in the other, seems to make a difference on how back tipsy I was.

I have since gone to just wrapping my sticks with my jacket and putting them on the pack with my rattling horns. I carry my bow in one hand, stand in the other, seems to make a difference on how back tipsy I was.

Muddy,

Are you just using the straps on the stand for the sticks and then using the pack straps to tie down the jacket to everything?

Thank you for the pictures. :way:

I hear you Liv I don't think I carry as much as you but I carry enough.

Couldn't make it out tonight but I was packing everything up for tomorrows hunt so I took some pix.

I put all the stuff that I'm gonna have in my pockets of my outter layer then stuff it all into the backpack. Pack the stand as I always do then strap it to the backpack. Running the straps through the stand platform as shown in the pix then over the first ladder stick. If you have even more stuff use an atv cargo net and you can pack even more. It took me some time to get everything where I wanted it in the pack so trial and error was involved :)

Mobile Cooter using IW

Last edited:
Fanny pack with essentials only. Then LW and 4 sticks. Everything else can stay at home. Like Sunday morning I get out and couldn't find a tree for the life of me. Started getting light and then noticed I forgot my F'N bow. Needless to say I was a tad frustrated and went back to the truck. Drove down the road a mile and went trout fishing instead. I've been filming for buddies and haven't had to carry my bow all year. Dum#@$$.:thrwrck:

Top Bottom