Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Xmas In July; #1 Card Pull of 2012

sureshot

The Hunt Never Ends....
Turkey season has come and gone, and the 'summer lull' has finally came to a close. It's that time of year again. The time of year when we hope to catch a picture, video, or glimpse of a giant velvet whitetail. Christmas in July has arrived, and the 'Hit List' has officially started. However, the key word is started. It's not even close to over, and for me, the giants typically don't show up until August. Only time will tell, but I think that this year is shaping up to be 'deadly.' Below are some of the bucks from my first card pull of 2012. Unfortunately, I somehow lost one card that had a few other good bucks on it, including a double mainbeamed 10pt, but I'm sure they will show up again.

Just over a week ago I headed south to the farms I hunt to hang cameras. Dwilk and Everly tagged along to help. Here is quick video we put together of hanging the cameras;
http://trophypursuit.com/derek/2012/07/09/july-6-hanging-cams/

The majority of these whitetails I have history with, but due to the length it would take me to talk about each one, I'll just post their pictures from this year for now;

This buck only showed up for a few pictures....I'm not sure if I recognize him yet;

102.jpg

This young guy has some potential;
2810.jpg

Quick glimpse of one passing through;
162.jpg

Potential;
494.jpg

Dwilk found this guys shed last year. Looks like he's trying to get splits on his 3s. Good 3 yr old buck. Hope he makes it at least one more year.
609.jpg

This old 8 pointer has been around for the last 3 years. I know he is at least 6 years old;
1414.jpg

I'm not sure how old this buck is. He showed up last fall for the first time ever. I saw him on November 10th at noon crusing through a picked corn field. He has a tank of a body;
4553.jpg

He brought a buddy along;
4815.jpg

I only had one crappy pic of this buck but he appears to be something good;
5054.jpg

This deer has been around the farm since he was 1.5 yrs old. I have called him Gimpy because of his bad leg. He is 4.5 this year.
5108.jpg

Another buck;
5664.jpg

Potential...appears young;
5030.jpg

This guy has some character. He's blind in one eye, with that same side having a huge base.
4079.jpg

This guy has some width;
3543.jpg

This is the buck that we jumped in the above video. Upon jumping him, I thought it was a buck that I call AJ (Adidas Junior). Sure enough it was as he showed back up but didnt' get close enough to the camera for a good picture. Only a matter of time though; Here is a video of an encounter my good friend, Heath Brown, had with him last year;
http://trophypursuit.com/chris/2012/05/27/111111-evening-hunt-close-call-w-heath-brown/

Here is the picture...I zoomed in to get a better look at him. His frame is fun to look at :)
AJ.jpg

Well, that's most of them for this pull. As I mentioned above, most of the giant deer on the farms I hunt don't show up on the cameras until August, so I'm very happy with the pull thus far. Besides losing one card, it went better than expected.

Last edited:
:eek: that is an amazing pull! Hopefully you can get close to some of those studs this fall. Thanks for sharing the pictures and the video was great as always!

Last edited:
I really think you should have explained every one. Come on leaving us on the edge of our seats? I would expect more than that, but oh well I will have to wait till next week. Great bucks! Beats anything I got on cam! Keep it up!!!!!

the third to last one is a one eye guy

Yep. Whatever happened to him caused some damage to his growing on that side. I have a friend who had a buck on his farm get hit by a truck, but survive. It cracked his skull, and ever since then he was blind in that eye and had a huge base on that side.

If those aren't your big bucks, I can't wait until August to see the actual big ones! I'd consider trading you a chance at one of my elk down here for a chance at one of those! :way:

If those aren't your big bucks, I can't wait until August to see the actual big ones! I'd consider trading you a chance at one of my elk down here for a chance at one of those! :way:

Well, I know of a few others around that should be really nice this year that haven't shown up yet. Don't get me wrong, these deer are great and I'd shoot quite a few of them, but it's only my first pull, and for some reason it seems like every August a few giants will show up.....not sure why. You are welcome anytime. No trade needed, but I'd take you up on that. :D I've always wanted to kill a big bull! Just curious, how long does it take to draw there?

Last edited:
Just curious, how long does it take to draw there?

A great idea for a journal entry! So as not to hijack your thread, be looking for a quick discussion on that by the end of the week! And in reality, no trade needed on my end either. I'd take you to my sweetspots in a heartbeat! That's how family roles!

You have some amazing deer there! Good luck with them and keep us updated! Long drawn out stories aren't a bad thing either!

A bunch of options, if you have bigger ones showing up in August that is a good problem!

I am going to relocate cameras to the north end of the farm, have been setting up more on edges of fields to stay as far from bedding areas as possible.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Top Bottom