Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Yelling during a deer drive

Another thread reminded me of a practice that apparently I had been oblivious to until a few years ago. I've had people tell me stories about a drive and how they or someone else saw deer and yelled to the next guy which way they were going. When I started deer hunting, it was with my family and a few others doing deer drives. I'm more of a stand hunter now, but my brother and I still attempt somewhat of a drive a couple times during shotgun to mix it up a little, but with a lot less results than having 10-15 or more guys. Anyway, in all the years I've been on deer drives, I've never once heard anyone in the group yelling where the deer were or where they were headed. It has always been up to everyone to keep an eye out for deer by them and if they missed the opportunity because they didn't know one was coming, then that was just how it was, better luck next time. No one ever blamed anyone for missing an opportunity...it was just "man, I wish I had been over there or been looking over there". Just wondered of all that do deer drives, who all yells the whereabouts of deer to others in the party? Just curious I guess.

On one piece, we have to hollar every so often to stay aligned and let others know of deer headed their way. Really thick cover and rough terrain. Other than that, I've only had to yell a few times to have my guys kill a good buck or a crippled deer.

I hunt with a small group of 4-6 guys. May yell if the other person is close enough to hear something that matters, but it is very rare. We normally sneak pretty quitly, almost still hunting. Walkers get as many deer as standers.

Another thought, lets not turn this into a shotgun/drive hunting bashing thread. There will eb enough of those in December anyway.

Another thought, lets not turn this into a shotgun/drive hunting bashing thread. There will eb enough of those in December anyway.

Only if they attempt to push my section, which occurs almost EVERY year. That is sad, all of the policing a guy has to do during shotgun season!

We'll have 11 guys hunting 3,000+ acres and we normally blind/stand hunt. We pushed once last year with no luck and we yelled when we saw deer.

Just to be clear, I in no way am trying to start a shotgun/drive bashing fest here. Just was curious as to how others hunt and if this was the norm. Not sure if you thought I was, but just wanted to be clear. I agree, don't like bashing other's hunting practices. Like I said, I started with drives, and still do a few so-called drives with my brother.

Never really been into yelling during a deer drive, but several of us have been known to throw a turkey mouth call in before beginning the drive. A few cuts and yelps periodically throughout the push made it much easier for walkers to stay aligned, and for posters to know where the walkers were. Kinda fun too :way:

NWBuck

We usually do a lot of yelling not much about where the deer are going we got cell phones for that! We mainly are yelling " Here comes the land owner! Run!"

They sound like cowboys herding cattle around my area. Whooping, hollering and yelling their heads off. Always sounds like they're having a good time, though last year I did notice some disappointed faces driving past them on the road and I know they did not do as well. Pretty soon they'll be yelling "YOU SEE ANY?" "NO!"

I betcha yur chasin em with trucks and blazin lead!! That's why shotgun season is so short. Shotgun hunters lose interest when they drive by a pasture full of sheep. derrrrrrrrr

I betcha yur chasin em with trucks and blazin lead!! That's why shotgun season is so short. Shotgun hunters lose interest when they drive by a pasture full of sheep. derrrrrrrrr

I am referring to bowtech1 and I can't stand trespassing

You know it jump em' and dump em'. As far as the sheep comment I'm more of a goat guy myself, wool is way too itchy!

When we shotgun hunt there is some yelling that goes on. Usually if one is trying to sneak behind us, or if we're hunting CRP or thick stuff. It's a family group we hunt with now and its only about 6 of us, so the yelling is mainly to let everyone know where everyone else is and for safety reasons.

Top Bottom