Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

You'll never believe this...

alh09

On the afternoon of the 12th I went out at 2:00. I didn’t see anything but squirrels and turkeys until after sundown when I seen a deer walk out of a grove about 200yds out. I glassed the deer and seen that it was a buck. I did not look like a big deer, but with cut corn as the background color antlers almost blend in. I decided I was going to try to call him in to my buck decoy. I grunted and wheezed, but the 25 MPH winds were too much for him to hear it. I grabbed my rattling antlers and banged them together good and loud for 30 seconds. When I picked up my binoculars I was pleased to see the buck running straight at me. And I was even more pleased to see that he was wider than the ears and fairly tall tined. I then grabbed my bow and put on my game face. He and two does came in at a fast walk. He came in downwind of the decoy, and started walking on the field edge. As he approached my first shooting lane at 15 yards I drew my bow. I let out a “meep” but he did not stop. I then moved my sights to the second and final shooting lane before the decoy. Before the buck entered my shooting lane, my arrow fell out. I was petrified. I let my bow down and scrambled to re-nock the arrow. But the knock was not even in the arrow. So I looked on my string… And it was not on there either! Meanwhile my decoy took a beating and was scattered out in 3 pieces. The angry 150 class 10 point was on a rampage and was determined to find the other deer that was in the mock fight I had simulated. He walked out of the field into the trees right below my stand. And at that time I had just nocked my second arrow. He was now just behind me. I leaned around the tree and drew my bow. At full draw, I angled down and was about to find a spot to shoot when my arrow fell out just like the first one had done. I was furious and began to let my bow down when I accidentally hit the trigger of my release. I dry-fired my bow from nearly full draw. And the big sexy cams I love so much on my Mathew Monster 7.0 bit me in the @ss. My lower cam hit my tree stand. It caved in the string channel and made a deep gouge in my cam. The buck didn’t like all that noise and fled the scene.
I am sick. This beautiful buck came in to a great decoy strategy. Everything went as planned, but my nocks failed. Has anyone experienced nock failure similar to this? I have yet to find one of the failed nocks. I will tear the area apart after the season and try to get one to analyze. Opinions and possible causes of failure would be appreciated. After this happened I checked my third arrow in the quiver and it fit tight on the arrow and string. I am shooting Carbon express Mayhem arrows, I purchased the arrows in august of 2010. The temperature was 25 degrees at the time of the incident.
Check your nocks!!

I had the same thing happen a couple years ago using nocturnal nocks in a carbon express maxima arrow! I've heard from several other people that have had the same problem! Seems to be an issue with the Cx arrows!

Unfortunately this wasn't the nock's fault, its called nock pinch and it will make your arrow fall off of your string when drawing back. When tying your D loops you need to create a nocking point with some serving above and below your nock. Then tie the D loop. This will make it so your loop can't tighten inwards when torque is applied drawing back.

Your loop setup should look something like this.

49083_Clipboard01_1.jpg

Unfortunately this wasn't the nock's fault, its called nock pinch and it will make your arrow fall off of your string when drawing back. When tying your D loops you need to create a nocking point with some serving above and below your nock. Then tie the D loop. This will make it so your loop can't tighten inwards when torque is applied drawing back.

Your loop setup should look something like this.

But how come the nocks were not in the arrows after the incident?

Man that sucks! I'd be interested to know what was going on. Faulty nocks? Get your cam fixed and get back after it! Good luck

Ouch! What kind of arrows? I have seen nocturnals fit this poorly before, as some one else mentioned, in Eastons and Beemans. I use nock sets as pictured above to prevent pinch but that should have nothing to do with the nock sliding out of your arrow.

But how come the nocks were not in the arrows after the incident?

Good question, usually only one fork of the nock will break off, causing your arrow to fall off the string. But part of the nock should still be in the arrow shaft.

Don't have a good answer for you.

One thing you might start doing, if you don't already. Once you get up in the stand and settled in check over all your equipment. Then take your bow and visualize a deer coming into all of your lanes.

- range different trails and trees for distance,
- determine when you have the chance to draw back on a deer approaching one of your lanes,
- get your footing and form correct,
- then actually draw back the bow,
- find your anchor,
- line up the peep,
- control your breathing, etc.

Just go through your mental checklist you do before each shot. Then let down and repeat on another lane.

This does many things to both physically check your equipment and keep you mentally fresh for when THE time comes.

Your nocks fell out? If this is the case the use a plastic grocery bag cover the top of the arrow and push the nock in then cut the excess bag off this will create a tighter seal without adding weight.

Your nocks fell out? If this is the case the use a plastic grocery bag cover the top of the arrow and push the nock in then cut the excess bag off this will create a tighter seal without adding weight.

They fell out, but were not on the string after I let the bow back down. I put new nocks on them, and they fit just fine. I am thinking there was some sort of crack in them and they split in half.

That is a good idea, but I'd do one better,Throw them all away.

CurtisWalker said:
I'd do that but with my college student budget I can't afford to keep buying arrows. Haha

Not the arrows...... the nocks. They are cheap.

Mobile Cooter using IW

Top Bottom