Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Young Archer

codywright

TENRINGER
OK, I need everyones help. My problem is I am helping a young neighbor kid get started in bowhunting. He picked up a brand new primos bow and the thing is a great bow. At the shop he was shooting awesome. Now we have him outside and we can't seem to get him to where the string is anywhere near his nose. This is making it hard for him to have a solid anchor point all the time. His draw lenth is fine, the string position doesn't seem to change no matter what we do. I just feel that if we can get him to have his knuckle touch his ear and the string touch his nose he will be set. Is there something I am not noticing. I feel I have tried everything with the kid. Just can't seem to get his consistancy back.

Is he pulling to much weight and having a hard time keeping it at full draw? I guess I'm confused about what you mean by he can't get the string to his nose.

Yeah I am confused too, It is weird cause I can pull the bow back and have the string touch my nose and it feels good to me. No he has no problem pulling it back. I think he may be deformed or something. LOL.

Ha, Check his shoulder and elbow posture. Also is he holding his head back. I have seen new shooters have trouble tilt there head foward on a gun to look through a scope. Same deal, his head being tilted up down or none could make an inch or better difference.

Dean

Just keep in mind that his ideal anchor and yours may vary. Try to avoid forcing him into using your ideal anchor. It may be right, it may not. The important thing is that it feels right for him and it's REPEATABLE. Here's what I would do and this may greatly vary from others' opinions:

1.) Remove any sight from the bow if one exists.
2.) Ditch any standard bullseye type target and get him shooting into something big without a care in the world for where the arrow is landing. Examples are a berm, dirt mound, hay bale, etc.
3.) Re-explain to him the importance of a repeatable anchor point and ask him to find what feels best for him, then repeat it for a solid week or two of shooting to engrain it in his mind.
4.) Explain to him the importance of follow through. Make sure he is NOT peaking around the string at release and if he does, correct it. Draw, release, keep bow on plane, wait a full second, check for arrow impact. If he struggles with it, literally ask him to say "One Mississippi" out loud after the release and while he's still holding the bow upright before he checks for impact.
5.) Install sight and have him shoot a bunch of arrows. If they group, adjust sight as needed.
6.) Shoot, shoot, shoot.
7.) If the problem reocurrs later, return immediately to step 1.

My thoughts and methods may be a little old school but that's how I learned and it's made a lasting impact on me. I didn't even shoot sights with a compound for the first 2 years of owning a bow and I believe it made me a far better shooter. It also re-sparked my interest in longbow shooting 20 years later.

how is his stance? his body should be facing 90 degrees from the target.

take a few pics the next time he is shooting, and post them. flaws in form will be easier to see, than to explain

Top Bottom