Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Young Poults

blake

Life Member
hoofline.gif

I cropped off the date, but this photo was taken on 08-09-08. Seems to me like those poults are kind small for this time of year?

Vman Trailcam
Hen & Poults

2_037a.jpg

hoofline.gif

Would you like more information about becoming a PMA or Life Member? >>>>> Details Here!<<<<< Join now and you are automatically entered into the 2008 Big Buck Contest!

11.jpg

Iowa's number one resource for the whitetail deer.

Could be she had to re-nest? Plenty of "egg stealers" around to destroy the first ones... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

I was golfing at Burlington last Saturday and saw the same thing. A hen and her 2 poults come walking across the fairway ( they were obviously safe from me hitting them) and he poults were about the size of an adult quail. Very small.

I saw a hen with young last weekend and the poults were a big as a large hen pheasant. A buddy said he saw one with small ones like those in the photo.

Thursday morning on the way to work I watched three adult hens cross a cut hay field with only three poults. Not a good sign for survival ratio I thought. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif These young were about the size of hen pheasants also.

I have been seeing a lot of hens with really low poult numbers.

One word..... <span style="color: #FF0000">BOBCATS!</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghost</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I have been seeing a lot of hens with really low poult numbers.

One word..... <span style="color: #FF0000">BOBCATS!</span> </div></div>

hoofline.gif

I agree, the property were the above photo was taken is loaded with Bobcats! I have seen two of them down there is summer.

I think I will have to start setting some traps this fall, I wanted to have one mounted anyway. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

hoofline.gif

Would you like more information about becoming a PMA or Life Member? &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Details Here!&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt; Join now and you are automatically entered into the 2008 Big Buck Contest!

11.jpg

Iowa's number one resource for the whitetail deer.

I'll agree, yet disagree with Ghost. I came from a place where our bobcat population and turkey population is 3 times of what Iowa has. Bobcats do effect turkey populations, but the number one thing that is the hardest on turkey poults are very wet spring, excessive rain, and flooding, which we all saw this year.

Back home, they had the same wet spring that we had in Iowa, and the turkey hatch was one of the worst that they have ever seen.

Ok then...I have more than one word for you...

<span style="color: #FF0000">Bobcats and a very wet spring!</span> /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sleep.gif

Well, the habitat is great for turkeys, and although we had a wet Spring there was not flooding in my local area...I'm blaming preditors. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

ghost u probably have a herd of bigfoots down there having early t-giving.if so we want pictures!

I've seen zero poults this year. I'm involved with mostly riverbottom ground so unless there were some on higher ground nearby, I'm afraid it's looking rough this year.

Top Bottom