Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Your craziest hunt that no one believes...?

Years ago a buddy decided we should take his boat out on Red Rock to access some public ground during early Muzzy season. We got to the lake and it was fairly windy out of the south which isn"t good when you have a 14ft flat bottom. We put in and hugged the south shore to stay out of the wind and as we come to the public hunting there are 3 guys and a kid in orange on shore waving franticly at us. As we boat up to see what they wanted they start pointing out to the lake and shouting our deer is out there. One of them had shot a Doe and she took off swimming when they jumped her while tracking. My buddy told one of the guys to get in and we would try and get her, at this point she was half way across the lake. Once we made it to the doe, still alive and swimming, we decide the best option is for the guy to shoot her again so we can drag her back. Dragging the dead deer with the boat in 3 foot swells wasn't going well so we hauled her into the boat with us. Three guys and a mature doe in a 14ft boat made for a sketchy ride back to shore but we made it and the guys were very appreciative. Turns out it was the kids first deer.

A couple years later the same buddy and I were trapping with the boat on Red Rock and seeing some nice bucks as we were boating around. My buddy decides we should bring our bows and do some rattling and calling, I was new to bow hunting and thought sure that might be fun. We beached the boat in cove, walked in a little ways and sat down about 50yds apart. My buddy starts rattling and grunting and within a few minutes a squirrel starts going nuts south of me a ways. I get ready and a couple minutes later I see a decent buck trotting my way, he stops on the edge of a gully about 50yds a way. I decide when he goes down in the gully I can draw and he should come up on my side at about 30yds. Well he must of ran through the gully because I didn't get drawn and there he is at 30yds and headed my way. I was sitting on the ground next to a really scrawny bush and at this point realized the trail the buck was on ran on the other side of that bush. The buck comes down the trail and I am panicking a little and hoping he walks past or turns around. He gets closer and I see he is sweating and hear him panting as he gets even with me he stops, swings his nose about a foot from my face and sniffs me with this wild look in his eyes. I was doing my best not to make eye contact as I was sure this wasn't going to end well for me. The buck snorts in my face, stomps and then high tailed it out of there. After about 10 minutes I had calmed down enough to walk back to my buddy and tell him what just happened.

Top Bottom