Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Your first bird!!!

Split_G3
just curious of what the story of everyones first bird was, how old were you, and how big was the turkey? when i killed my first bird i was 10 years old and my dad was along for the ride. my dad was amazing with a box call and his own mouth and he was sitting at a tree about 20 feet behind me. he started calling about the same time it started getting light out and we didn't hear no gobblers at all. it stayed this way for about 2 hours and then we finally heard a gobbler and he was only about 50 yards away. dad kept calling and the bird would strut and gobble but just wouldn't come any closer. then dad starting calling with just his mouth, no mouth call, and the bird came running. it got to within 10 yards of me and i blasted him. my dad forgot to tell me that as soon as i shoot to go run after the bird, so he had to run after it himself and it flopped down a steep hollar and my dad finally caught up to it after about 300 yards of running
30577-rotflmao1.gif
when i finally caught up to my dad and the bird my dad was so out of breath but still had enough energy to tackle me and scream "HELL YEAH THAT'S MY BOY". the bird it's self wasn't much but it was my first. the bird weighed 15 pounds and we had to part the feathers to find the 1 1/2 beard on it
30577-rotflmao1.gif
and barely had any spurs at all. all in all it was an awesome hunt
waytogo.gif

My 1st Iowa turkey hunt goes back to sometime during the mid to late 1970’s. I had put in for a coveted spring turkey tag in Stephens Forest here in Iowa. It was either the 1st or 2nd year that Iowa had allowed turkey hunting. There was a very limited number of tags available to hunters, and I was lucky enough to draw one of them.

I had no idea how to hunt turkeys, and I didn’t know anyone who did. I began reading everything that I could get my hands on about turkey hunting. In those days there were no specialty magazines such as Turkey & Turkey Hunting, no how-to web sites, and no Outdoor Channel. I do remember reading an article I think that was writing by Tom Turpin? I was ready.

After a great deal of difficulty shopping local sporting goods stores in several different towns, I finally found and bought a cedar box call. It was the only one they had in stock. I remember the sporting goods sales person laughing at me when I bought it. He made some remark to the effect that he had ordered the call for a guy who didn’t draw a tag. He stated that he didn’t think there were any turkeys in Iowa anyway. He did however wish me luck as he was counting my money with a smirk on his face.

After I got home I began painfully practicing my seductive turkey calls. My coon hounds went crazy listening to me and my wife demanded that I leave the house if I planned on practicing my calling. My buddies thought I was insane. Knowing what I know today about calling turkeys my early attempts at calling must have sounded pretty pitiful.

On opening day I traveled 3 plus hours in the wee hours of the morning to arrive at Stephens Forest before daylight. I had no idea where to hunt as I had not done any pre-season scouting. After stubbing around in the dark for 20-30 minutes I finally decided on a perfect place to try my calling. I must say I had no idea what a perfect set up was, but I was trying. After 15-20 minutes it was getting daylight enough to see so I started calling.

I must have called non-stop for at least an hour. Since I had practiced so much and made a perfect set up I was not at all surprised when a tom showed up for me to harvest. I was very proud of my accomplishment. That must have been one love sick bird, or he was very lonely, or perhaps he was deaf and just stubbed into me. Anyway I didn’t weigh him, and I don’t remember how long his spurs were, but he did have a 6 ½ inch beard. There is no way that I should have been so lucky. After all I am expert now and have a lot of problems sometimes out-witting those birds…………….

My first turkey hunt was just four short years ago. I had my 10 and 13 year old sons in tow it was raining and we where late getting out. After sitting in a drisle for only 20 minutes, with some protected calling on the box call to keep it dry, three jakes came in and my oldest was waiting for a mature bird, as was I. My youngest missed at about 15 yards, but man that was exciting. Within 45 mintute we had a group of 5 toms, including the boss, come in and my oldest boy held off waiting for us but Zach and I never saw the birds until they had moved back out of range. My oldest, madisonb&c, took a tom later that morning that jumped up in front of him and my youngest, mchunter, took a huge bird midday durning the next days hunt. That one was a classic, responded to the calling from way out. Came in gobbling all the way. Strutted past us at 5 yds, gobbling, spittin and drumming then wam the boy lowered the hammer on him. It was two years later before I took my first. It was fun but I was alone, I think it was funner making it happen for the boys than for myself. I like the extra edge bow hunting adds or putting it together for family.

i tried a few years before i got mine with no luck, one day we were about to call it quits in southern iowa, it was raining and just miserable out we went to one last spot and got out from the truck, and we heard some gobbles, we took off running and found ourselves just standing on the corner of a thick pine grove. we were just standing there and they were just on the other side gobbling, it was my dad and i and good friend who was calling, he let out a call and 2 gobblers and a jake came running around the corner, i shot and rolled the jake!!! then i shot him 4 more times and he wasnt down for the count, he started flying about 5 feet off the ground and my dad and the other guy finally got him in a fence and we got him. i caught alot of crap for shooting the jake but heck i didnt care i was 11 or 12 years old
smile.gif

I killed my first bird 2 seasons ago. It was my second season hunting turkey seriously. I had seen several birds that year but they were not that vocal. I seemed to flush more birds trying to locate them and is was becoming frustrating. Towards the end of the season I was about over it. I was so pissed that I did not even setup my decoys. Did not hear anything gobbling which was par for the course so started calling about every 15-20 minutes. Nothing was responding and I was getting ready to call it quits so I made one last series of calls and out off no where earth shaking gobble took place and scared the hell out of me. He came in silent with a buddy and I was beside my self. He stepped out from behind a tree and that was all she wrote. Never will forget that experience for the rest of my life. I just hope I am as fortunate as Ironwood and some others on this site to have my boy in tow on a few long beard hunts and enjoy the excitement with him.
grin.gif

I took my first bird this season. I bow hunted last spring with a friend that was gun hunting all he wanted to do is run and gun witch is hard to do with a bow. So this year BOONER said he would take me out and help me get my first bird. The first morning was truly asome whit about five gobblers in the trees around our blind. When they flew down two raced each other around the corner of the paster but something spooked them.
The rest of the season we heard alot of gobbling and tried to move and set up on a few birds but no luck. On Saturday the first of May we were
having the same luck only one hen came in and hung around for about forty-five minutes. We decided to leave about nine-thirty and try another spot.After we setup it wasn't ten minutes there was a hen worked up by BOONER's calling this one came within four feet of the blind and I couldn't control my self and let out a little laugh and she spooked. BOONER stared calling again and she moved out into the CRP feild doing her alarm call.Then her calling turned into yelps thats when I herd the spitting and druming.I turned and looked to see a gobbler in fullstrut. Reaching for my bow BOONER said theirs three and started going for his bow whitch was laying on the ground. All three of the toms where dancing for our decoys.BOONER was trying to get his arrow nocked and his release on. He said don't wait for me so I drew back and set my pin on the first tom to come open and let my arrow fly. He didn't drop and all three birds ran for the timber.The bird next to one I shot attacked him as they entered the tree line.
BOONER tried calling the other two back in but no responce. I could not wait any longer I had to go find my bird. He was right inside the treeline where he was attacked there were more feather there than where I had shot him.
I am exstreamly proud of my bird but still kick myself for not waiting for BOONER to get ready to take a shot since it is his hunting ground and he was nice enough to help me out. I can only what might have happened if would have waited.Hopefuly BOONER can score this weekend. My bird is curntly at the taxidermist. Thank you BOONER for the great year.
3572First_turkey_1-med.jpg

I have been hunting turkeys hard for the last four years, and on May 1st, 2004, I shot my first gobbler. I would like to say that all the hard work I put in pounding ground, researching calls and behavior, all paid off in the end...but here's the story, I'll let you decide
smile.gif

My stepfather (Blake) and I had been hunting sun up to sun down, for two days, always coming back to the same piece of ground. We (I should say he) had deduced where a majority of the toms in the area where roosting, and where and when they had been flying down. The problem we had was with a fickle wind and rain. The birds were not behaving as predictably as we would have liked, and were flying down late, or taking shelter in thick timber to stave off the cold and wet conditions.

Saturday morning promised to be relatively dry and mildly warm. We had arrived at our hunting destination around 5:15am, when it came to my attention that I had forgotten a few important items, namely my turkey loads, and hunting license/tag I told my stepfather that, I must have planned on hurling my Mossberg shotgun at the birds. Whether it was the lack of adequate sleep, limited coffee consumption that morning or whatever, I was making a mad dash back to the house, some 15 miles away.

After getting my gear in order, I somehow managed to get back around 5:50, I may have had a slight lead foot, I dont exactly recall. At this point I had given up any glimmer of hope I might have had at tagging a tom that morning. No longer was I able to sneak in under the cover of darkness, and the grass underfoot had dried considerably from the previous days rain. However, I still kept to my plan that I had decided on only minutes before we had first arrived.

I quickly setup alongside a brushy East-West fence-line, next to an open gate where we had heard a couple gobblers the previous morning. I placed a solitary sceery hen decoy just inside of the gate to the North, and two others maybe 20 yds away on the south side. The path from the gate led south up a slight incline, to an open field ridge we suspected was a hot strutting zone. My plan was to lure hot toms from the timber to the North and East, and to persuade gobblers to close the distance, should they stray in from the South open field.

I figured my best odds came from the East and South at this point, as I had likely made too much noise or had been spotted when I made my grand entrance following the fence line from the West. I let out a few soft yelps only once, using a Primos slate call (The Freak w/frictionite). The hens in this area had not been particularly vocal. As luck would have it, half an hour later I espied three big toms and five hens to the East, slowly making their way West towards me, just on the North side of the open field ridge. My spirits could not have been more lifted at this point. The time was approximately 6:30 am.

The game was afoot, as all three toms never left full strut as they slowly paraded towards the two sceery hen decoys I had setup. With eight sets of eyes looking in my general direction, I dare not make any sudden movements. The toms closed to within 45-50 yds of my position, and were loathe to come any closer. I figured this was my best chance, as the toms must have expected the hens I had setup to flock to them. Unfortunately the toms had moved to an area on the inside of the ridge, that I had not anticipated there were a series of overhanging branches I had been using as partial cover, that now obstructed my shot. For some reason or another, the toms pivoted away to the East for a few moments, which allowed me just enough time to slowly rotate and reposition my gun between the limbs for an open shot. I waited a few seconds for a broadside shot at the head and neck of the lead tom it was now or never. I will never forget the rush of adrenaline I felt as my gun belched and the lead gobbler went down hard, in a flail of limbs and feathers, while his harem and brothers scattered to the wind. Wow. What an exciting moment!
peace.gif

My first turkey was just 2 years ago. I was 13 yrs old. I was hunting with my dad's buddy. All morning we never heard a single bird gobble. Then about 2 hours later we had 2 of them gobble about 60 yards away. Then after waiting ten minutes the bigger one came in. It was a easy 20 yrd. shot and I rolled him and we started to go out to him and he got up on his feet and started to run. I had to shot him 2 more times to kill him, but I was excited. He weighed 24 1/4, 9 3/4 in. beard, 3/4 in. spurs.

Here's a picture of my first turkey, a Rio Grande hybrid. I took this bird in the spring of 2002, after two unsuccessful seasons of hunting (spring 2001 and fall 2001). Dad and I were out of opening morning on some private land in central Nebraska. We knew where the roost tree was, and set up a short distance away from it. I put out a couple of hen decoys in an open spot, then found a nearby cedar tree that I could use for cover. Right after fly down I heard a bird gobble once and it sounded like he was heading my way. Between me and the bird was a woven wire fence that bordered the shelterbelt where the roost tree was. A short time later a read head popped out of the brush on the other side the the fence. He seemed to be having trouble figuring out how to get over the fence. Every so often he'd pop of of the brush and look around, then disappear again into the cover. This went on for several minutes. Finally, he jumped up on top of the wood fence post and perched there for a few seconds, eyeing the decoys. If you look in the photo below, back in the trees right above the muzzle of my gun you can see a horizontal log on the top of the fence. This is where the bird perched to cross the fence. Then he jumped down on my side of the fence and headed straight for them in a strut. I waited until he broke strut, and gave him a load of 3 inch No. 4s at 25 yards. One shot was all it took. This bird had a 10 1/2" beard, 7/8" spurs, and weighed in the neighborhood of 24 pounds. He was a little bit unusual in that his tail fan had 19 large feathers instead of the usual 18.
Spring_2002_turkey.jpg

I did the tail fan mount myself, and here's how it turned out:
spring_turkey_2002_id.jpg

I shot my first bird in 1991.It was my 3rd year of hunting for them. I had scouted some public ground and found a ridge where turkeys had been roosting.I had a second season tag and was hunting a week day.
I snuck in way before first light and set up about 50 yards from the ridge I had scouted.This particular morning was one of those where the only gobble you heard was that one bird 3 counties over.Looking back on this I think it was probably due to the fact that I used a flashlight to get in and set up too close to the ridge.
I set there until around 8:30 and decided to move to a corn field taht was further back in the area.I walked along the ridge calling out every so often with a mouth call.
I had covered about 100 yards and realized that I had forgotten my flashlight back at my original set up.
I made the descision to go back and get it before setting up again.
As i get back to my original set up I hear a gobble coming from the direction that I had just came from.I quickly threw out my decoy and started to call.
After about 10 minutes I hear a hen down below the ridge.As she called I had 2 gobblers set off .One beyond her and 1 on the other side of me.I was sitting right between 2 Toms with a hen in the middle.
After an eternity(realy 5 minutes) I hear something walking in the leaves off to my left.I look at of the corner of my eye and here he comes in full strut walking right toward my decoy!
He went behind a tree and as soon as he stepped out I let him have it.Another mistake I shot him in full strut.I ran over to him as he was trying to flop away from me and grabbed him.I am thankful to this day that he was only a 2 yr old with 3/4 in spurs as he proceeded to thrash me pretty good! If he was another year older I think I would probably still carry scars!Later I could only find 1 pc of shot in the neck.I was hooked forever!

Top Bottom