Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Your First Deer

Great post Ghost, still looking for the first gun pic have it around here somewhere. My first to bow kills were does, here's the first buck bow kill, year was 1982.

39271st_bowkill-med.jpg

Her is my 1st deer, I cant remember what year it was , 95 I think. I shot it during 1st season shotgun with an old pump 20 gauge I still have.
2499first_deer001.jpg
and here is my first deer by bow, I think this was shot in 98. I shot it with an old Bear bow that my dad owns.
24991999_bow_buck.jpg

0.jpg

After going deerless my first two seasons I ended my season on opening morning of firearm November 15th, 2001 with this 10 point that scored 133 5/8 and a 4 point. I shot this guy first, and while I was waiting for him to lie down the 4 point walked down the exact same path
2for12.jpg

Some people told me I would never shoot one bigger, 2 years later I got another 10 pointer that scored 140 4/8

P4090036.jpg

I'm really fortunate to such a good area to hunt. I'm still looking for my first one with a bow.

This is my first deer. I hunted for six years with bow before finally killing one. I was bound and determined to kill my first buck with a bow and not a gun.
I showed up late that afternoon and stopped to talk with the farmer, while I was, I spotted this buck crossing one of his grass set aside fields. The buck was heading directly torward one of my stands. He was a good 500-600 yards away so I parked the truck, grabbed my gear and took off sprinting through this low area of the adjacent field so that he would not detect me. I finally reached my stand and he was at 60 yards and closing fast. I scrambeled up the tree and pulled up my bow, not quit sure how this buck was not aware of all the commotion. I finally nocked an arrow and there he stood broadside at 30 yards freshing up a scrape. I drew back (I remember shaking so bad) and sailed the first arrow over his back. He never heard my whisper quite PSE
crazy.gif
so I re-nocked another arrow, by now he was at 25 yards and I stopped him and sent the next one through the boiler room. The buck was recovered the next morning, I replayed the events in my head all night long. I remember it like it was yesterday and this all took place on October 19, 1988. The buck is an eight point with his left brow split and left main beam busted after his G-2.

Great post Ghost, I enjoy looking at all the old pics. Sorry, forgot to stick his tongue back in
grin.gif
8951st_buck-med.jpg

This was my first deer ever. I was 12 years old. I was pretty young, and very dumb. I got out to my stand and finally then realized I had forgot my fingertab. I was on my way back home when I saw this deer walking the edge of a CRP field. I just sat there and waited. The deer came to about 7 yards and I flung an arrow that led me to my first deer kill ever. I also shot a buck that year with my rifle. Certainly a year of luck, fun, and experience.

http://www.iowawhitetail.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=6601

Here is my first buck with a bow. And the second a week later in SD. I finally scored in my third season with a bow. It was very frustrating, I had that big buck mentality the first two years, and the third year i resorted to the if it's brown its down theroy to break the ice. I learned a lot from the informative people on this site!
Nov 04 2004
1146DSC00853-med.JPG

Nov 11 2004
1146DSC00889-med.JPG

First buck ever, 1978, shotgun:
FirstShotgun.jpg

First rifle buck taken near Tower, Minnesota:
MinnRifle.jpg

First bow buck 1994. He has two stickers at the base of each antler that point straight forward:
FirstBow.jpg

First muzzleloader buck (early season '96):
FirstMuzzle.jpg

I sold my pistol before harvesting a deer with it so I guess I will have to buy a new one.

This is a photo of my 1st whitetail. I harvested him in 1994 during the only shotgun season I have ever hunted.

Pictured here with my father (blake) and his shotgun buck. We had a good time hunting together. Neither of us has ever hunted the shotgun season since, as we both now hunt only with bow and muzzleloaders.

49431_003.jpg

I loved that old Willys that my Grandpa owned, I believe it was a 1951. I have a lot of fond memories riding in the back of that truck. My Grandpa used to let us ride in the back on the way to the farmer's live stock auction or up into the mountains to get 2 tons of coal. I couldn't wait to shovel it off just to get a candy bar, now a days the kids would want half your paycheck & then would do it when the felt like it. I still kick myself in the but for not taking it when I had the oportunity. It was lucky to go 45 mph down hill but what a blast. Oh the good old days!

Great post Ghost.
Like a few others here I was more into pounding greenheads than sitting in a treestand. My duck hunting buddy was into bowhunting as well so I got tired of sitting in the blind by myself and bought a bow, shot it all summer and lucked out on this guy on a hot November 7th afternoon in 2001. I can't imagine life without deer hunting now.

203, that is by far the best post I have seen in a while...when is your next album coming out??

Pat

9802001buck-med.jpg

Top Bottom