Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Your own taxidermist

big+tall+mass

T250 for president
Has anyone ever tried to mount your own deer? I was just wondering what some of you did to get started (besides going to school). Did you read and watch videos on the internet or buy do-it-yourself videos? I was thinking about doing my own someday and wondered what the best way is to get started. Thanks, enjoy the rest of the deer seasons and of coursed the excessive amounts of snow.

Buddy of mine started doing his own by just watching the instrutional videos, and trying to go along with them. First few looked like cracked out cows, but he's pretty decent now.

I got lucky, my dad taught himself way back when and has done his own since back in the 80's or late 70's. I just learn a little from him every winter that we do ours.

I went to school for it, however, instructional videos would probably be the best way I can think of without actual one-on-one interaction with an instructor. Find a video that will show you how to properly fully cape out a deer head and prep to send to a tannery, NOT one that shows the Insta-Preserve method. IMO, Insta-Preserve looks like crap, especially in the long run and they turn your deer head basically into "bug food". Also, the number one key to taxidermy done well is the use of "Reference".. i.e. Photos or plaster molds of key areas such as the eyes, nose, ear butts, etc. used for correct coloring and shape. The ears and the eyes IMO are the two biggest things that make or break a mount.. Get a deer form and a set of glass eyes and some clay and practice molding the shape of the eyes over and over again. Find a good video that will show you how to do the ears so they won't "Drum".. You should be able to find a lot of information on www.Taxidermy.net and you can buy supplies and videos at www.mckenziesp.com

I have done my last three deer myself. I ordered a video from www.taxidermy101.com and watched over and over. I even referred back to it a couple times during the process on my first one. It was very helpful for learning some solid basics for starting out. It showed in great detail how to cape the head, split the eyes and lips, and turning the ears. Unfortunately he does use the dry preservative in the video, but I do not. For my first mount I ordered a Legacy mannikin w/mounting kit from www.vandykestaxidermy.com
It came with a pickling solution for soaking the hide and a synthetic tan oil for tanning it. The other thing I really liked about this kit was that it included ear liners with butts already molded in and synchron eye capsules, which eliminated the need for a lot of clay work around the eyes. The glass eye slips into the rubber capsule and the legacy mannikin has a slightly larger eye socket that is designed to accept the capsule. I have since used the capsules on other brands of mannikins by just enlarging the eye socket slightly.
Personally, I think that this was a great way to get my feet wet and I have since branched out a bit and started trying different things. If you would decide to order one of these kits, I would recommend ordering some extra critter clay. It is helpful to pack in and around the ear butts for added thickness and helps mold the butt into the mannikin. I would also recommend some type of epoxy for glueing the liners into the ears. I still struggle a bit with drumming, but my last two are definitely better than the first one.
It's definitely a bit time consuming, but can be very rewarding. Keep in mind, I'm not a professional and have not been formally trained, but for the most part I have been happy with my results and have received many positive comments from others who have seen my mounts.
Good Luck!

I started mounting my own deer heads by taking pictures of deer in the wild and then I would carve paper mosaics, which would create the form I like. Then I would wrap the hide on the form I made and then I would add salt. Then I would take the pictures and paint the hide to look like the pictures. Thats how I started.

Euro mounts were much easier though I would just put them in the bathtub when the old lady was in there soaking. That made the brain material much more oozy and then I put it in our crock pot for an hour and just shook it out in the shower. Then I would put some of my beachblonde hair die on it to turn the skull straight white. They look real good!!!

Top Bottom