Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Your preference for switchgrass seed’

StucknAz

Wondering for those who have tried different types, what’s your best recommendation for seed type. I’m debating real world vs RC big rock for southern Ohio planting. I’ll have access to a drill. Curious for those that side by specific seed types “why” they run what the do?

Big rock I know is good.
If u add others…. Cave in rock, Kanlow, Shawnee… those have been some of my staples for years. Solid. Big rock has advantage of fast germination.
I think I’ve planted 12+ varieties. If stick with above & u have decent soil u will be set.

So i personally did a lot of research on this subject.

Real World:
It is a VNS(Variety Not Stated) Switchgrass. This bothered me as I did not know if it was a lowland switch or upland switch. Was its max height 5' or 8'. There is no way of actually knowing. So I contacted the company. They were very rude and would not tell me what the variety was. Basically told me that if I didnt like it I could go buy somewhere else. So I don't take no for an answer well, so I kept digging. Then I came across a fella who knew what seed it actually is. Its just regular ole Alamo switch but for double the price.

Big Rock:
Well thats the variety. You can literally contact the "creator" of the seed variety to ask them questions. If Big Rock wont work in your area then they have other options that will. And its FAR cheaper. Also BG is bred to be a vigorous growing seed so it far easier to establish than most other switch varieties.

Trust me I dove hard into this rabbit hole to figure which variety is the best. You are far better off just contacting Midwest Habitat Co @IowaBowHunter1983 and getting the Big rock. Save yourself some money and get a far superior product!

I think that’s the plan of attack, already been in touch. Decided to add more beans and less SG in my setup. Still be over 2 acres Sg on this fieldknob and gradual decline. If they bed in SG in se Ohio this should be a perfect perch.

Anyone planted RC yet and have a Rx for bedding pounds per acre on drill? After talking with MHCo. The range is 6-8, prob run 7# to play the middle. Anyone side with thinner is better?

I've planted Real World switch when it was relatively new to the market and still very hyped. It eventually came up fine but not better than Cave-in-Rock or any other brand. Real World is over priced and over hyped for all their products. Even their soybeans and corn which is marketed as having higher fat and/or oil content to be more palatable; I've read some folks doing side-by-side studies with generic brands and deer had no notable preference. Save your money and avoid Real World for sure, or any 'buck on a bag' varieties when planting something real farmers have been successful growing for decades (corn, beans, most grasses).

I followed Dbltr's page here some years back when I established 7 acres of CIR/Kanlow. It was 5' cover and screening in its 1st growing season. It's still a success, but it's thinned a little in the past few years. Probably a good thing? I've mowed it a few times but never burned or applied chemical since its inception. This coming spring I intend to mow it and spray some chemical to try and set back canada thistle, pokeweed, and hemlock. I'm working on a new project for '24 and bought 10 lbs of Big Rock because it's the latest and greatest. When I purchased a few weeks ago I found the only supplier who had any in stock and it was Green Cover.

So i personally did a lot of research on this subject.

Real World:
It is a VNS(Variety Not Stated) Switchgrass. This bothered me as I did not know if it was a lowland switch or upland switch. Was its max height 5' or 8'. There is no way of actually knowing. So I contacted the company. They were very rude and would not tell me what the variety was. Basically told me that if I didnt like it I could go buy somewhere else. So I don't take no for an answer well, so I kept digging. Then I came across a fella who knew what seed it actually is. Its just regular ole Alamo switch but for double the price.

Interesting.. Don has mentioned it is a lowland variety so that would make sense with Alamo. I just planted an acre of it this spring. Seedling vigor was "ok", but not near impressive compared to when I see RC Big Rock results.

Planting another half acre strip this coming spring, this time in RC Big Rock, will be interesting to compare.. Would be neat to ultimately get to a variety that keeps pace with weeds first year, without chemicals.

Last edited:
Interesting.. Don has mentioned it is a lowland variety so that would make sense with Alamo. I just planted an acre of it this spring. Seedling vigor was "ok", but not near impressive compared to when I see RC Big Rock results.

Planting another half acre strip this coming spring, this time in RC Big Rock, will be interesting to compare.. Would be neat to ultimately get to a variety that keeps pace with weeds first year, without chemicals.
Lowland switchgrass is not the best option in the midwest.

Rob at midwest habitat will have some also!

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Sure do! We have started shipping as of today. I had to enlist some help! ;)

Screenshot_20231204_173516_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20231204_173526_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20231204_173533_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20231204_173539_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Few thoughts…..

Yes
We have partners (I hate the word pro staff) who currently have plantings of real world and RC Bigrock together. RC Big out grew RW the first year.
Real World is $9 a pound ( no that is not a typo) , $9 a pound more than RC Bigrock. Folks, that’s $1250 a fifty pound bag for Alamo (from the last tag I saw ) switch. And it’s not going to preform as well. You are paying for a name, that’s all.

Rob is probably closest to most of you, but if he runs out we should be stocked until June. We have 18,000 pounds (well it is down to 16,000 pounds) now and are getting more in Jan.
I have spilled some of this in a parking lot and it grew to 3 feet . I planted RC Tecumseh on pure sand with our Food plot screen together and it got 4-5 feet. Bobby Kendall sent me a video of 4 foot tall Bigrock in Illinois that all he did was spray 2 times and drill. This stuff is simply amazing. The new Bigrock seed is huge for a native grass seed.
if you can drill it, I would spray a few times in spring and drill in June. I have seen pictures of a new variety they are working on that was drilled in July and hit 6 feet.
Is $25 a pound switchgrass worth it compared to the RC? Everything I’ve seen and the installers I’ve talked to said it’s not even close.

• Deleted by northwoods whitetails
Show…
Wondering for those who have tried different types, what’s your best recommendation for seed type. I’m debating real world vs RC big rock for southern Ohio planting. I’ll have access to a drill. Curious for those that side by specific seed types “why” they run what the do?
Save your money and buy RC Bigrock
$9 a pound less and it will out perform RW

Top Bottom