Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Your preference for switchgrass seed’

So i personally did a lot of research on this subject.

Real World:
It is a VNS(Variety Not Stated) Switchgrass. This bothered me as I did not know if it was a lowland switch or upland switch. Was its max height 5' or 8'. There is no way of actually knowing. So I contacted the company. They were very rude and would not tell me what the variety was. Basically told me that if I didnt like it I could go buy somewhere else. So I don't take no for an answer well, so I kept digging. Then I came across a fella who knew what seed it actually is. Its just regular ole Alamo switch but for double the price.

Big Rock:
Well thats the variety. You can literally contact the "creator" of the seed variety to ask them questions. If Big Rock wont work in your area then they have other options that will. And its FAR cheaper. Also BG is bred to be a vigorous growing seed so it far easier to establish than most other switch varieties.

Trust me I dove hard into this rabbit hole to figure which variety is the best. You are far better off just contacting Midwest Habitat Co @IowaBowHunter1983 and getting the Big rock. Save yourself some money and get a far superior product!

Yes
I have a dealer who used to deal Real World
An old seed tag said Alamo

From what I've read, RC Tecumseh is the best drought tolerant blend. It might be a better option depending on your soils.
I frost seeded 3 aces of Tecumseh in late March into bean stubble.
The seed is perfect for frost seeding being a little smaller. I intended to mow, spray etc, but never did.

We essentially had no rain all summer, but it turned out great. It has some foxtail and lambs quarter in it that I'll hopefully address in year two, but the deer don't mind.

Top Bottom