Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Your thoughts

alaskanwhtail

The House of Resources Committee approved drilling for oil in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. In Washington the proposal went 30-13 on the vote.

I think it is a shame! I won't go into detail on why but I just think it is sad! I'm sure others will agree with me others will disagree.

I think it's B.S. as well as a shame. The amount of oil they get outta there will not be worth it. More harm than good.

I hadn't heard that yet. Does anyone on here know how much of an area this will affect? As far as roads and such going in.

Here is an interesting link, it is a two page link so click the “continue” at the bottom of the first page.

link

It doesn't suprise me a bit, it would of happened sooner or later, kinda scary that it is sooner than later
wall.gif

The way some of you folks think scares me! There is no reason to let a valuable resource sit there without using it!
Wilderness areas are fine, but reserving millions of acres in a totally remote area is BS! We need to worry more about people, the animals will be fine!

OK... But, please park your vehicle so that I can have the extra gasoline!

"Optimism is a good characteristic, but if carried to an excess, it becomes foolishness. We are prone to speak of the resources of this country as inexhaustible; this is not so."
Teddy Roosevelt in his seventh annual message to congress, December 3, 1907

Given the situation today- I feel we are being governed by fools. Pharmer 2005

A little part of me is almost glad that the gasoline prices have go thru the roof. Maybe our country will now be forced to look at alternative energy sources regarding trasportation. Our precious earth will still be here when we are long gone. I believe in stewardship of the land. I don't think of myself as owning land, only renting for a while during my life. I'd like to leave it to whoever owns it after me in better shape than when I bought it. I my opinion the little undisturbed natural areas that we do have left in this world should be treasured and are priceless. I wish our legislators and business leaders would think a little more ethically and concern themselves less with bottom lines. Just my thoughts.

I would support the drilling if done in a way that would have minimal impact. I would require the contractor to build a reserve, (certain amount set aside per barrell?) to restore/improve areas during and after the contract term and fund monitoring of the drilling. If the money is not needed in anwar due to minimal disturbance, then use the funds to improve other aspects of Alaskas natural resources. Etc. Etc. There ought to be a way this can be done that meets most concerns. I don't think any negative impacts drilling could have in anwar could come close to matching the pathetic water quality that most Iowans accept every day as the way it is here. A terribly degraded natural resource that if improved would actually benefit people. Set high standards, hold contractors feet to fire with tough inspections and get that oil for my Hemi!

blake and 150,

Very interesting articles.

Still though, I don't know that any of us here have all the information necessary to make a good decision...that's what we elect leaders for. However, I do find it ironic how many people complain about drilling for oil in the pristine wilderness, while at the same time, enjoying the comforts of home in a new development that was beautiful wildlife habitat only a few short years ago.

NWBuck

ANWR is one of the few spots left in Alaska for the calving areas, this would affect our future of the western arctic herd that is 400,000 caribou. There is ALOT of oil in this state and we get a ton of revenue from it, in fact every resident of Alaska gets a dividend from the percentage of each barrel that goes in to the pipeline.

The state Senate on Wednesday voted to spend $337 million in permentant fund earnings on education-related capitol projects.

I kinda wish Alaska was its own country. All the laws are based on the lower 48 and some of those cream puff governers really don't make great decisions. The only time you guys here about Alaska is when a hollywood star gets eaten by a bear or when theres a oil spill. When the weather man has the united states on the screen and is covering the weather for the nation do you see Alaska on that map, nope I can't even see what the news syas about the weather here. But the 48 can make decisions for this state.

A caribous diet is lichen, lichen is found in some areas of the state. Last summer 3+ million acreas burned here in the interior, this will have an affect on the caribou migration for some of the western arctic and some of the forty mile herd as well as the nelchina herd. Now to put a 4 ft pipe through this area that is so fragile... It takes about 20 years for the lichen to grow enough and contain enough protein in it for the caribou to have a balanced diet. The revenue will be great but my children won't ever get to appriate a land so vast that man has never touched, its sad to see this happening but something worse will be happening in our childrens generations...

Top Bottom