Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Youth 20 gauge load?

Central Iowa

Life Member
I am getting my son set up with a shotgun to go after a youth turkey what do you recommended for a 3" 20 gauge load the gun will have a 18.5" barrel? The gun is a Mossberg 510 mini with the Accuchoke system any recommendations for aftermarket chokes for this combo?

My son uses 23/4 in duck and pheasant loads. Don't know how old your boy is but it's allot easier on the shoulder

I did the smae thing with my wife. when we were practing we shot game loads. the when we were turkey hunting we popped in the big turkey load with out her knowing. you get so pumped up when ur in the moment! Hell i dont like shooting my turkey load if its not at a bird!

I did the smae thing with my wife. when we were practing we shot game loads. the when we were turkey hunting we popped in the big turkey load with out her knowing. you get so pumped up when ur in the moment! Hell i dont like shooting my turkey load if its not at a bird!

exactly what we did. way: It works!!

With my 11 year old and 8 year old we just used 2 3/4",

#5 game loads. At 20 yards the pattern is awesome.

I can't remember what I used for a choke but I think it was a modified.

I also just put on a red dot scope this past week.

Thanks, really looking on what loads to use like below.

2 3/4" #5 game loads. At 20 yards
Shooting at a critter he doesn't notice heavier loads he shoots 100 grains in his light little Rossi mini loader and a used a .243 when we hunted in Texas and he was probably less then 55 pounds then and has never felt them. I have protected him from target practicing with full loads of anything. Most of his trigger practice is with a BB gun or his .22 and we practice going over when to shoot on the tv. He tells me stop and I stop the video he points where he would shoot with a laser pointer and I critique his placement or when and why I would of shot or not shot. The rest has to come with experience and ability to stay calm. He has a .410 barrel that came with his Rossi I may let him try that with a light load to give him an idea of what shooting shot is like he has only shot rifles and muzzle-loaders. I have a feeling a turkey coming in to him will get get me more excited than any turkey I ever shot. :way:

Any other load choices?

Last edited:
20 ga load

I had my son shooting a mod choke and 3" Winchester #6.
The modified choke liked the #6's better and it did spread them out a little if he was a little off on the aim. He killed his 1st at 25yds and it never even flopped.

I patterened the gun for my kids with 3" Winchester 6 shot tutkey loads. they all practiced with light dove loads, HS undertaker choke in a Beretta youth 20.

They never knew the gun went off when the tom went down. :D

mole

2 3/4 load is all you will need. That's what i plan on letting my boy use this year. I'm using a red dot to try and make the pattern perfect.

Last edited:
I honestly couldnt tell you what to use for someone Owens size, but if you truly think recoil isnt a problem than I would recommend these, probably wont find a better turkey load in 20g. but I bet they'll kick harder than the rest as well.

http://www.cabelas.com/shotgun-ammunition-hevi-shot-hevi-13-magnum-blend-turkey-loads-2.shtml

But like others have said if you have them close and he puts the shot where it needs to be it really shouldnt matter what he throws at them.

I set my son's BPS 20 gauge up with 3" #5 turkey loads. It does a nice job within its' range, but honestly, doesn't pattern well beyond about 30-35 yards. He's grown quite a bit in the last year and I'm going to be encouraging the 12 gauge this season :way:

NWBuck

we have the mossberg bantam youth gun with the H.S undertaker and shoot Federal #5s great pattern but 35yds is about the max distance. You might look into Hevi shot that stuff is amazing expensive though the ones I shoot are $5 apiece

we are planning on using 3" remington permiere, 6 shot, through the full choke, on a mossburg bantam.

guess i'd better get that thing patterned!

Top Bottom