Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Youth archer poundage minimum

bbdjunkie02

Hey guys, anyone out there have a young archer?? My daughter is currently pulling 28 pounds. Wondering what you think about that being a lethal poundage for whitetail this fall if we keep the max shot at 20 yards. Been doing research and figure on using an 1 1/8 broadhead for max penetration with the low poundage. Just wonderin ig anyone has had their kids out with the bow and what you were shooting for pounds. By deer season she should be able to pull 30. Appreciate any thots.

I told my son I would like him to be able to pull 40lb befor he goes deer hunting. A lot of states have a 40lb minimum so thats what Im going by.

I believe 30 lbs is legal and good enough to kill a deer. Accuracy ofcourse is even more important at that low of poundage.

While Iowa does not have a law restricting bow weight, we typically recommend 40# for an ethical kill and use a cut-on-contact broadhead for maximum penetration.

My son shot his first deer when he was 8, pulling 28-29 lbs., useing a muzzy phantom cut on contact 2 blade for better penatration.They are 80 gr. without the secondary blade. We dug a pit blind 6 rows back inside standing corn for a close shot. I think the shot angle is alot better at ground level than from up in the air, plus its pretty exciting for them close range at ground level. He did not have a complete pass thru, but plenty of penatration and the deer only went 40 yards.

Guys
Groung hunting for low poundage is the best and really alot of fun.
Tree stands and low poundage can be a disaster and may cause the low poundage hunter to loose interest if a deer is lost.
Tent hunting is gerat for kids, women...and safe!!

Having had my boys shoot lighter weight bows when they were first starting I would say that 35# would be a minimum in my mind. As others have said too...super sharp, cut on contact blades make a big difference too. We were normally hunting out of elevated stands, but it makes sense to me that a ground level hunt could be require a few less pounds too.

Again, shot placement and being super close are critical with the low poundage. By going back 5-10 rows inside a cornfield and digging out a nice deep pit blind, brush it in good with corn and having 3 or 4 small shooting holes thru the corn,they will be shooting almost up into the deer where there are alot less and smaller bones. I believe the vitals are a bit bigger and it makes it much easier to get a double lung hit. With the corn always rustling in the breeze the deer never even see or hear them draw.
Sometimes I will put up a blind over the pit so they can stand and shoot, but the mice seem to destroy the blinds too quick in a cornfield and leave poo on everything.

What is her draw length? That will make a big difference as far as what kind of speed you will be getting out of the bow. I would try to get her to be drawing as much weight as she is comfortable with, hopefully at least 35# by season, and find out how much KE the arrow is delivering. If it is around 25 ft/lbs or so she will be just fine. I would also use a 2 blade cut on contact tip like the Magnus Stinger (not the buzzcut). You will get better penetration with a 2 blade than with a 3 or 4. But like everyone says, accuracy is key. As long as she puts the arrow where it is supposed to be and the broadhead is sharp, it doesn't take much to put down a whitetail.

i would have said 35-40, but after reading the replies, i think ground level or pit blind would REALLY help the odds. good advise there!

I think technology of the new bows makes a big difference too. My son got his first compound, the Diamond Razor's Edge, for his birthday in March. Started shooting at about 29 lbs, and now comfortably pulling about 37. Distance restriction is important as it drops quickly past 20 yards, but guaranteed this thing packs enough punch to easily deflate a deer with a well placed arrow at the 17 yards and under range.

NWBuck

Top Bottom