Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Youth Bow Opinions

tduff

I have an 8 year old son that is wanting to get into archery. He is 55" tall and weighs 82lbs. We measured his draw length at 22".

I am looking for advice or opinions on what I should start him out with.

Thanks

browning micro midas is a great bow if memory serves me. they're very adjustable.

The Browning is a good bow. My son has a Bowtech Rascal and it is well made. Modules are easy to change and the arrows really fly out of it!! Look around on net as many can be found used. I got them for my kids on archerytalk classifieds.

Bowtech, Browning, and Parker have great youth bows. My kid has the Browning Micro, the Hoyt Rintec, and the Diamond Edge. The edge is his favorite.

I have a 5 year old that's getting really close too and I'm wondering the same things. What about the Matthews Genesis Bows?? Any opinions?

mini genesis 6-12 pounds, or genesis 10-20, is defiantely the best way to go for a kid just starting out. one of the main factors is how much weight can the COMFORTABLY pull and hold? if a 20 pound bow is easy for them, then you can look into a bow that can eventually be cranked up to hunting weights. if they can't handle 20 pounds, then start them on a genesis.

i've seen quite a few kids at shoots, that almost dislocate their backs trying to saw back on their bows. the key is to keep them at weights they can control comfortably

I've bought 2 Darton Mavrick Jr's 22-28" draw 20-45 lbs pull.

Buck Hollow has them on hand.

Nice bow.Grandsons( and most of the neighborhood) shoot all the time.

8 years old and 5'5" and 82 pounds...he doesn't need a bow, he needs a FOOTBALL!
grin.gif

I bought my son a Browning MicroMidas too and he has graduated up and my younger son is now shooting the MicroMidas. Although we were happy with it I know there are other good choices out there too.

Thanks to all who replied. He was able to shoot a Genesis this morning and liked it, so I am going to try and find a used Genesis or Genesis Pro for him.

good luck, you'll need it. if you (or he) is in any kind of a hurry, you will be better off to just buy new. forget about trying to find one for under $100

The Micro Midas is a great way to go if he can pulll enough weight. The let off makes the bow so much easier to shoot, and getting to an accurate anchor point makes a world of difference.

The genesis and the Discovery(browning) are basically the same bow. We have a few of each in stock. If you would like send me a PM and I can fill you in on either or!

My vote is for the parker. A little spendy but a great bow with the option of an affordable limb trade when he out grows the youth size. It has been a great bow thus far with two years of use.

Top Bottom