Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Youth Bow Recommendations

Critter

Life Member
Ok guys and gals.....I'm looking for a bow for my daughter who will turn 8 in July. For the last couple years she's been shooting an "el cheapo'" red fiberglass recurve with my old whisker bisquit taped to it. Has anyone purchased a kids size compound that didn't fall apart within a year? Keep in mind that my daughter is only 7 and can't pull back a-lot of weight. Any suggestions?
CRITR

Browning Micro Midas looks pretty good Criter....I have seen the one Ghost's kids have and it is a quailty little bow that is priced pretty good.

Critr - If it is just for shooting go with the Genesis. This bow the whole family can use for years. If you want a wide range of draw and some adjust ability to use for hunting go with the Hoyt Rintec. It is a bow that can be used for years.

Jamie, All are great bows IMO. My daughter who turned 9 Monday has been shooting a Hoyt Banshee for 2 years now. It has served her well. I like Limb's idea too. You can send the bow back in and they will make the bow grow with the archer...top quality stuff. Also.....before you drop any coin......check eye dominance.

My daughter is 9 & she just started shooting a Hoyt as well & she loves it. make sure you get a Whisker Bisket rest it is the best thing I have bought her yet. A little salty for kid but man is it nice.

[ QUOTE ]
Jamie, All are great bows IMO. My daughter who turned 9 Monday has been shooting a Hoyt Banshee for 2 years now. It has served her well. I like Limb's idea too. You can send the bow back in and they will make the bow grow with the archer...top quality stuff. Also.....before you drop any coin......check eye dominance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rudd, this is an issue with my son Gabe. I didn't know what baseball glove to buy him for almost three years. He is now left handed but right eye dominate. The bow I bought was right handed and he is shooting it fine. I was told at an early age if he was right eye dominate to force him to shoot a right handed bow. Seemed to work! Is this correct?

You are correct. I struggeled for a loooong time. I wish someone would have forced me. I really notice it shooting a gun. The double vision pins when shooting archery is a thing of the past too.

Jamie...yeah...we have had real good luck with the Browning Micro Midas. Very adjustable and he shoots the crap out of it. Just be ready to go buy new arrows about every three weeks. I think some are lost due to the return of black birds around the pond!
grin.gif

Parker has recently put out a bow that is so comparable to the Micro Midas that they could be twins. Buckshot I think it's called, here's the link to ParkerBows

Obviosly check her draw lngth prior to buying, it's probably 16-19". My 9 year old shoots a Browning micro Midas and it fits him pretty good and it's very adjustable. I was very surprised how accurate he has become with it. The Parker Buckshot also looks like a nice bow.
My boy is left eye dominant and I bought him a left handed bow. Do your kids a favor and make them shoot with their dominant eye.

Thanks for all the input guys......good call on the eye dominance thing Ruddster. Took me a while to figure out which of her eyes were dominant though(silly 7 year old). I put a bid in on a pretty blue Browning that she thought she might like.....we'll see how it goes. Thanks again guys.
CRITR

Critter
I have a 6 and 8 yr old both shooting. My daughter has been shooting the micro midas for 2 1/2 years. I just gave that one to my son who is 6. Whisker Biscuit, release, peep and a good set of sights. (had some cheap plastic based ones, they started to move after some shooting) My daughter is now shooting a Bowtech Rascal. Holy smokes this is a nice little bow! And a step up from her midas. Both are very good bows and very adjustable. The browning doesn't even need a press for most of the adjustments. The bowtech has different draw length modules for about 10 bucks a piece I think. Bowtech also has three different sizes of limbs. If you top one set out you can trade them in for a bigger set for a lesser price then new one's alone. Bowtech seems to put as much into there kids bow as they do there adult bows. Both are pretty fast when topped out. The Bowtech seems to be quite abit faster at low pondage. Wright now its set at about 21 or 22 lbs. Topped out with 31 lbs limbs, IBO speed is somewhere in the 190's. You can get 20lb 30lb or 40lb limbs. I went with the Browning first with both kids because it was a serious bow but still reasonable. And I could find out if they were going to really enjoy shooting. My daughter is now becoming more serious about her shooting so I moved her up to the Bowtech. They can hurt the pocket book, but ebay is wonderfull little site.
wink.gif
My main concern was to give them good enough equipment to enjoy shooting and either of these bows will do that. P.S. Go with carbons for kids there lighter, and take a beating and these two bows will fold the light aluminum arrows!

I would get the carbons also. We noticed a difference in how flat the carbon flew vs. aluminum. Make sure you get alot of color in the vanes so the arrow can be located easily on the missed shots outdoors. Have fun!

I'll second the vote for the Bowtech Rascal. This bow is serious business and is no toy. Expensive (250.00), but great resale value should they outgrow it. I was also going to buy the Midas. Glad I saw the Rascal first. No comparison.

Just got off the phone with Stacey Archery. I'm going to take Limb's advice and go with the Tom Thumb II. These bows sound like the real deal for young kids, and it's pretty cheap to upgrade the draw length and poundage when the time comes. My daughter's bow will come with an adjustable 18-22" draw length and 20-30 pound limbs. The owner stated that at 18" of draw lenght the 20-30 pound limbs could be turned down to 12 or 13 pounds. Sounds perfect for her for the first 3-5 years. When she maxes out her draw lenght I can send it in and have the next set of wheels installed for 35 dollars. If and when she ever gets above 30 pounds I can send it in and get a new set of limbs for 50 dollars. Sounds pretty reasonable to me, I'll let you guys know how it fits when she gets it.
One other thing...the risers come in a variety of colors,(green, purple, black, blue) and the total cost of the bow is still less than 200 dollars.
CRITR
7902BowsTomThumb.jpg

I just ordered my daughter a "Mini Genesis" in camo the other day. 6-10 pounds! Should be a perfect started bow that both the girls can use for years.

Top Bottom