Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Youth season.....doe only?

gansomn

This topic may have been talked about a while ago but I am a new to this forum, so here has been a topic with quite a few friends and others in the hunting industry.

Iowa started the youth season a few years back, to introduce young hunters into the sport and I agree with this, but why not have them take does only. Some monsters are taken by some of these hunters who (this is one of the topics we argue on) could not possibly put in the foot work to harvest a animal like this. Are the adults using this early season to have a child take a animal not likely to be seen when the normal season takes place. There is a photo on the harvest forum of a six year old boy with a doe and he is smiling from ear to ear, that should be what its all about.

Does the introduction into the sport revolve around an antlered trophy? Myself and friends will be watching this post so see what others ideas fellow hunters have.

Welcome to the site man! I think the way it is works great. I would have a hard time telling my kids they couldn't shoot a monster as it walked by. What better way of getting a youngster "addicted." It also seems that many adults take huge bucks without doing any footwork to harvest that animal. You always read about this guy or that guy shot a huge buck and borrowed a bow, gun, clothing, etc. I understand what you're saying and I think that maybe some kids are too young to understand what they harvested, but again there are a lot of adults the same way. I am teaching my kids that it's about the "experiences" and not the kill. Hopefully they will grow up and remember our times in the woods together regardless of what we took home and pass it on to their kids!

I personally think that they should be able to harvest antlered deer. They can't be doing any less footwork than a shotgunner who goes out once a year and has a giant run by during a drive. I'm sure there are plenty of kid's who watch big bucks come out into their fields all summer. I think it's great that they get a crack at them.

I give the Parents a high five if they put in the work for their kid to shoot a bigun. No the kids dont do the work... But I dont think they should... There are some, SOME situations where it is not all about working to earn it.

For example my father and I busted our butt this year for the little trigger pullers that run with us. I think that is how it should be.. I mean what do you honestly think a little kid is gunna do, hop in the truck and glass for hours on end.

Lets put it this way. If I was 8 years old and I shot a booner, no it wouldnt mean anything to me. It would make dad proud and he should and will get most of the credit. But I will appreciate the hunt and will have the same great memories later on. ALSO I will appreciate that deer a lot when I am older.

EDIT: they did like to tag along and do the scouting, not every time, but some. I think that is where you learn the most anyhow.

I think kids should be able to take whatever animal they choose (and preferably the first one that offers a good, clean shot if it is their first deer). I typically have size restrictions at my place for bucks but that gets suspended for kids since we really want them to have a good experience and have some success...regardless if that is a doe, a 1.5 year old six point or a booner.

It is and always should be about the kids. Just so we all realize that harvesting does is an important part of deer hunting.

Let the kids have sme fun! I really do not get why some adults are overwrought about youngsters possibly shooting a big buck. This sport needs young hunters and new recruits.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Daver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let the kids have sme fun! I really do not get why some adults are overwrought about youngsters possibly shooting a big buck. This sport needs young hunters and new recruits. </div></div>

Amen to that! Don't make us hunters a dying breed. Kids are the future.

Agreed, let the kid take the first shot that comes along wether it's a buck or doe. Just make sure the kid is taking a shot that he can make and has practiced at. There is always going to be an adult that is going to ruin the experience for the kid by trying to make he sit in the woods forever waiting for a big buck. (It's the same parent you hear at little league). Let them have fun, it's the experience that is important.

i don't like the idea of putting restrictions on a kids hunting experience. let them shoot a doe, button, spike, scrawny little basket rack, or a 180" hog. its all about kids getting a start in hunting. sure, you will get some dad's that use the season to bag a buck with a "trigger man" that they would have had a harder time getting later in the year, but how does that hurt you or me? if that hooks the kid to a lifetime of hunting, great. if he/she burns out by being spoiled by shooting a trophy the first time out, then he/she never really had the fire in him/her to begin with. getting a kid out there, is what's most important.

There will always be a few parents who try live their lives though the kids,whether it be hunting, baseball, football and that's OK.
When I look at all the kids who have taken deer on this site the smiles look just as big with a doe as they do with a buck.No need for restrictions, let them have some fun.

When I was a kid, Dad always made me the triggerman, pheasant, quail or rabbit hunting he always walked the thick nasty stuff and told me to get in an opening where I could shoot, I bet 90% of you had parents,uncles that did the same thing.We all have to start somewhere.

Without the kids, hunters will soon be on the endangered species list.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: letemwalk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think kids should be able to take whatever animal they choose (and preferably the first one that offers a good, clean shot if it is their first deer). I typically have size restrictions at my place for bucks but that gets suspended for kids since we really want them to have a good experience and have some success...regardless if that is a doe, a 1.5 year old six point or a booner. </div></div>I agree. My son missed a nice doe after only sitting for 5 min.on the fisrt day of the youth season and did not fill his tag till the last day of seond gun taking a doe.I t did not matter to him what he shot and was a trooper on the those long cold days waiting for a shot,but made it happen to get his first deer.I am also glad he did not get tht first deer during the youth season to show him what a challenge it was and not taking your first deer 5 min. into a hunt.He rode the rollercoaster with highs and lows thru the season and getting it done on the last day made it sweeter.

I agree that there shouldn't be restrictions on kids. The experience is far to important to the future of our sport and the growth of the kids to tarnish it with restrictions.

I also give props to the parents and mentors who take kids hunting. My son and I spent lots of time afield this year trying to get his first deer and it didn't work out. It also didn't discourage him as he still wants to hunt.

I also want to mention that it shouldn't be a pressure situation. I was out of town one day and my dad, Alphamale, took my boy hunting. He had very close shots on three bucks throughout the day but he just wasn't sure he was ready to take the deer down. Squirrels, pheasants, etc. haven't been a problem but there is something about a deer that has more meaning. The whole situation could have gone much differently, much worse but my dad had the patients and smarts to not let it. Thanks for that dad and to every other hunter who helps kids come into hunting on their own.

I do question making the youth tags good for following seasons if they remain unfilled during the youth season. A tag for all seasons seems to counter the need for the youth season in the first place. I figured this would stir the pot a bit but decided to throw it out anyways. You all know I have enjoyed my years of youth hunting with my kids and I do believe it should be about the kids but they should also learn that sometimes you work hard at it and you eat tag soup. This rule has put an addition number of early m/l hunters out there and has basicly removed the qouta limit of that season.

I await my beating. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I am happy to see the way this post has gone. Maybe I have misinterrupted the first post, but I find it really incredible how selfish some of us can be over a set of antlers. It seems very easy to suggest restrictions that only impacts us favorably. Some people think that the youth should only be allowed antlerless tags and another thinks that landowners tags should all be antlerless rather than restrict themselves to an antlerless only harvest. Perhaps we really do need a year or two where only youth and landowners can get any-sex licenses, and then see what we think.

I also am not sure about the carry over of these youth licensed, but since there aren't that many of them, I think the kids should have a chance. The problem that I have with any carry over tags is that we loose the sense of urgency to fill a tag. If we have almost unlimited time, many people will try to get around to it instead of this is the last day I can use this tag so I better shoot something.

What? Not let a tag carry over? All tags should carry over. If your worried some one will kill a bigger buck, or oh my god take two good bucks in Iowa for not being in a hurry. Iowa robs hunters of so much money its not even funny. Make it a one buck state and be able to spend as much time in the field as you would like to take. i grew up shotgun hunting in Iowa and shot a doe for my first deer, and many more after. big deal go push deer and hope your a lucky one who gets a shot at a buck. I took my daughter out the past two years and she has passed up more than 20 doe's, because she wants a buck. She puts in her time and has even passed up little bucks waiting for at least a 2yr. So why should kids or anyone else be pressured into shooting the first thing they see because the season will be over in a week?

I think a tag should carryover to get these kids out there.

With Playstation, sports, friends and chasing members of the opposite sex anytime they get out there is a bonus.
I agree with showing them it has to be worked for and sometimes they will eat tag soup but why discourage them.
My boy would never hunt the first season because he wanted to save his tag to hunt with me during shotgun. If this would of been in place 5 years ago I might of been able to hunt with him quite a bit more. Let them enjoy there time with you and out in the field.

As far as shooting antlered bucks who cares, is it really that big of a deal? If so then I guess I ask why is it? If one kid gets hooked then it was worth it we need these kids to help protect our future.

My boy will shoot does all day long then and now. He has let countless bucks pass by for the last three years now (except one we are still looking for) but every doe gets a dirt nap.
I guess my point is they really do not care what they shoot they just want to be there with us and we should not care how long or what they shoot.
Sorry about the rambling.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and new recruits</div></div>
Ah finally someone with some sympathy me /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ironwood</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do question making the youth tags good for following seasons if they remain unfilled during the youth season. A tag for all seasons seems to counter the need for the youth season in the first place. I figured this would stir the pot a bit but decided to throw it out anyways. You all know I have enjoyed my years of youth hunting with my kids and I do believe it should be about the kids but they should also learn that sometimes you work hard at it and you eat tag soup. This rule has put an addition number of early m/l hunters out there and has basicly removed the qouta limit of that season.

I await my beating. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif </div></div>

I agree 100% with you Ironwood.

Top Bottom