Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

youth season loads

shrek1

PMA Member
I have a 9 year old daughter that wants to go youth season deer hunting. i think a 20gauge slug is alittle more than shes ready for, does anybody know of a lighter charge in the muzzleloader that would work better. Bullet size and powder charge?

Shrek take a look at these:

low recoil slugs

I just linked the Winchesters, but I know others make them also. I've shot 12 guage low recoils, and I thought that there was a VERY noticable reduction in recoil. If you could find some 20 guage low recoils that might be the ticket.

I just bought a Rossi Youth .45 Cal muzzleloader. Shooting 50 grains of tripple 7 and 195 grain sabots. My 6 year old is handling it well.

My 11 year old daughter is shooting a 180gr hornady sabot with 80gr of pyrodex and shoots it well(I put a recoil pad on my wife's muzzy for her as well). Much less recoil than the youth 20 guage we have.

Here is what I have done with great results with my wife. She absolutely HATES any kind of recoil....yet she has killed deer with my muzzleloader and a 20 gauge slug gun....all full-punch loads. I simply had her practice with .22's and also had her shoot some low brass shotshell's at targets. She went through the motions of mounting the firearm, taking the safety off and lining up the crosshairs or sights, but never shooting the regular slug or full powder load. The first time she ever shot a full power load in my muzzy was at the deer she killed, and she never felt the recoil. Same thing with slugs in her 20 gauge.
They will never notice the kick when they are dropping the hammer on a deer.

Top Bottom