Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Youth season targets

kelcher

Who is helping youths target specific deer this weekend? Share pics?

I asked my son if he was going to wait for a nice buck this year and he replied "I can probably wait an hour or two to see if one shows up . . . . "

Ha ha...love that attitude!!

My youngest is now 18 and off to college, and I really miss youth season. So the last couple years I've gotten a big kick out of helping other youth try to get their deer by giving them permission to hunt a couple of small pieces I lease. One young lady got a nice 2 year old 8 pointer last year, and this year I have 2 young men who will try their luck. Both will likely be hunting with their Dads, but I'm anxious to step in to help in the event one of the Dads can't make it. I've been sharing trailcam pics with them, along with tips of where and when, and it's cool to see how excited they're getting for the season :) One of the two kinda has trophy on the brain, the other not so much. We'll see...hopefully some pics to share in the next week or so. Good luck all you youth hunters and Dads!!

NWBuck

Who is helping youths target specific deer this weekend? Share pics?

I asked my son if he was going to wait for a nice buck this year and he replied "I can probably wait an hour or two to see if one shows up . . . . "
It is a very exciting time for me! I get to take my 9 yr old and his Lil hunting partner (11 yr old buddy)! I've got to watch both of these 2 shoot their 1st deer over the last 2 yrs as well as my son harvesting his 1st buck last yr. They both are very excited about some of our trail cam pics but each one will be happy with just an opportunity. I believe they are just as excited about fishing in the midday as they are about hunting in the am/pm! Makes a guy smile knowing that there are still a few kids who would rather hang out outside than indoors with a TV or tablet in front of them!
Best of luck to all those taking a youth out this coming season! Be safe and have fun!

Reactions: arm
My kids are on their 3rd and 4th years of hunting youth season. Typically we conceal our selves where we can see a saddle in a field and wait for traffic but this year we are stepping up our game, hiking in 1/2 a mile and sitting in a tree stand to see if we can't fill both their tags this year. Neither one sits very long once the weather cools off. I hope they get to see some bucks as usually we only see young does and fawns in the field sits, but I learned a long time ago they get to shoot what they want because you never know if that is the only shot they will get.

Reactions: arm
i will be taking my 6 yr old! He shot his first turkey this spring, and is itchin for his first deer. We made a "special trip" to Bass Pro, just for him. Im just hoping for a positive experience, no matter what deer he decides he wants to shoot. I have a group of decent bucks that we will be targeting, and he says he wants to wait for the biggest one.. spike, basket, or giant... my heart will be racing :) I will have the Tactacam on the gun, i just hope I can remember to turn it ON when we have a deer to shoot lol

good luck to all the youth and those taking them out!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom