Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Youth season tips

BOWSTRING

Looking for tips and ideas to make my sons first deer hunt good. I'm sure he'll only be able to sit still for about a second but I'm hoping he'll be able to stay out for about 2 hours at a time. I'm going to make a ground blind with some brush so he can wiggle around some. He's 9 so I'm hoping to at least see some deer to give him a chance to decide what he wants to shoot or not to shoot.
Weather looks like it's going to be good so far.
I haven't hunted this early so not really sure what to expect.
Season starts Sept. 20th. I've hunted early October with a bow but never had much luck even seeing much.
I'm hoping the soybean field next to us will be yellow and they'll be hiting our food plot's.
Any suggestion are appriecated.

My tip would be getting out there from a DISTANCE and glassing 5 or 6 areas you are thinking about hunting a few days before the hunt. I'd do a few days just in case you spooked something AND in a few days they should be doing the same thing with ROUGHLY the same timing unless something major happens with weather.

If it were me, I'd hunt the areas you saw several different bucks come out to that had the absolute proper WIND and proper entrance so you can get to your blind without spooking a thing. I would be getting there 45 minutes before the time you were seeing the deer there (I'd do more if it were me BUT you have little scoobers). Keep super quiet the whole time and concealed obviously. Sounds like you are hunting areas where you're waiting for deer to come out to feed- keep in mind those bucks spend several minutes or far longer inside the woods just SCANNING out of them to catch YOU! Lastly, if you plan on hunting the same spot more than once in those days, I'd be thinking of some way to get out of there without busting the deer or they'll be BY-BY for the next hunt.
These are just my opinions /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Best of luck, hope to see pics!!!

My daughter has been going with me for a few yaers now and this also will be her first season as the "hunter". I let her take her nintendo with her and that REALLY helps. Just make sure the sound is off /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif

I like my boys to use shooting sticks for a steady shot. Be prepaired to help them move them if needed. Pleanty of snacks and drink. Make sure they dress warm. It may not seem cold to us early in the morning, but seems after they get settled they can get a chill. Always easier to take clothes off then not having enough. Keep it fun!

Fatboy gives you some great advise...I will second the shooting sticks and making them comfortable.

Keep it fun...the hunt is over when they say it's over.

I was wondering about letting him take a game. I guess as long as it's light out it wouldn't spook anything.
We'll be hunting a small thick timber hoping they will mill around in there before they go eat or go bed down. Hoping they'll stop by the food plots in the timber for a little snack.
scoutings not really an option it's a small timber and you just can't see into it because it's so thick. there's really no place to sit and observe.

Thanks for the tips

Very good advice. I'am taking my son on his first hunt also, like you don't know what to expect. Seems like they loose there velvet and kind of disappear for a few weeks. Acorns? I've never really hunted oaks, but will try it. I've taken the boy on a couple of turkey hunts and did use shooting sticks, made them out of electric fence post and a piece of innertube cut into a 2 inch piece like a rubber band. Works great. good luck to your boy!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bowstring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was wondering about letting him take a game.
</div></div>
BINGO!
There are two things that will ruin a new hunter in a hurry regardless of age. One is bordum, the other is being unconfortable.

As long as he is comfortable then you need to worry about bordum. Handheld nintendo games are the best thing for keeping kids occupied. It may even be worth it, if he already has something to go buy him a new game. Pull it out once your in the stand or just before you go into stand. You may be able to lengthen the time you stay in the blind by alot for something simple.

Dean

don't forget a comfortable seat for him and most often with morning hunts you can expect to get wet from the heavy dew. Make sure he eats something before going out b/c he'll be miserable after an hour if he doesn't. I had a lot of good times with my younger brother when he was able to go out...lil turd will be 18 in two weeks.

If you're not able to close the deal on your land I know where you guys could easily harvest a doe. PM me if you need that option.

Good luck and keep us posted.

OH and most importantly don't forget the camera...take lots of pictures.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> OH and most importantly don't forget the camera...take lots of pictures. </div></div>

8372006erin2.JPG

Went out to check my trail cam and move the mineral block out of the area. Lots of deer tracks running through the food plots and my trail of death.(hopefully) I kind of made a trail from the road by tieing the fence down so they can step over it then cut a trail that heads toward my rape,turnips and rye. then made a trail from there to my stand and my tecomate bucks and bosses in rye then a rye trail from there to another plot of alfalfa feast mostly chickory where another stand is. Looks like it's working now. We'll see what happens next weekend. I don't think seeing something should be a problem. Looks like they have been bedding down in the chikory and found a turkey feather in it.
Going to try to put pictures up later of my plots.

Thanks for all the advice and offer.
Bowstring and Bowstring jr.

Hoping Bowstring 3 will let big brother get some hunting in before he comes or after. Due the 22nd Sept.

I took my friends nephew last year for the first time his and mine he was seven and i think a good tip is try to keep it fun and dont loose your patience with them there kids they will make noise they will get bored and they will try to talk at all the wrong moments but its all worth it to see the look on his or her face when they get a deer. Tyler got a small six point last year and he thinks it was the biggest deer on the hill i think hes a hunter for life now good luck to everyone this fall.

Top Bottom