Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Youth season

dbltree

Super Moderator
Are you taking your kids out during the youth season or waiting until one of the regular seasons? Sometimes it seems like they are fired up more a little later on.

I'm planning on taking my oldest son, 13, and he has invited a friend of his to go with us too. I am looking forward to it.

I'll be in the Double Bull with my 10 year old son on April 8th...he is ready to go!

Just saw about 30 turks with 7 Toms all blown up on the way to work this morning.
waytogo.gif

I will be in my new double bull April 8th with my 10 year old. Then I will hunt first season(Taking vacation) and then my 13 year old will hunt second season. Whoever wants to will hunt again 4th season.

Dbl,
Taking my boy out Sat. and then again during the regular season. Turkeys seem to respond better in the earlier part of the season and come a strutting in to anything they hear.
Risto

Not my boy but I am taking a friends son out for the youth season to try and put him on his first bird. I love to call for other people and get them on birds just as much as I like smoking them myself so I can't wait. I have been seeing toms in full strut consistently since Sat. also so the time is right

Kratz

[ QUOTE ]
I'll be in the Double Bull with my 10 year old son on April 8th...he is ready to go!

Just saw about 30 turks with 7 Toms all blown up on the way to work this morning.
waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like the Toms and Kids both are rarin to go!
smile.gif
No matter when you go it doesn't get any better then when you have a youngster along. No turkey I ever killed meant as much to me as my sons first turkey last year. This year he's determined to use my single shot 10 gauge...I told him it was a lot of gun for a 14 year old! Wish I could call and run a camcorder at the same time!
grin.gif

My 12 year old will be out Friday and Saturday. A buddy and I will hunt 1st season. My 10 year old will hunt 2nd. Can't wait!

A friend and I will be introducing another friend's 12 y/o to turkey hunting, I was very happy to see this youth season come about.
I put him on his first deer back during muzz, we'll see if we can't make it a double for the kid.

Putting him on his first deer was one of my finest moments in the timber. The kid is hooked.

Of all the things we do in the timber, taking a kid is definetly the one thing that really means something for our future as a hunting community and possibly the way these kids live their lives.
I know I'd been in bunches of trouble without the timber.

My 14 year old brother will be going during youth season, hopefully we can get him one this year after a miss at about 15 yards(two shots, he still hears about it) and a couple close calls.

going to do my best to get my 10 year old a crack at his first one during the youth season. He is pretty excited. He has a gymnastics competition in Wisconsin on Sunday so we might skip work/school on Friday the 7th. I can't think of any better reason to miss school or work than sitting with my boy in the double bull.
grin.gif

A quick question for those of you who have taken youths in the past. Do you subject them to the long drawn out hours that turkey hunting can sometimes bring (especially if the weather turns bad or the birds just aren't cooperating). I know for myself once I hit the woods it is hard to get me out of there but I can't imagine to many kids at the age of 12 being able to hold interest for that long. Just wanted to get some input.

Kratz

Haven't had to make that decision yet, but I think that would depend on the kid though. The boy we will be taking turkey hunting is a very determined young man at most things he sets his sites on. Over all though, I think they could be better off learning determination and patience after they're hooked. I think early success with very little adversity might help in hooking them.

was in the turkey seminar at the classic and the guy said about that. He said in the blind have to have a blind

bring stuff for them to do portable game book something cause it can get long.

I am in college right now and I planned on taking my younger sister (14) out during 2nd season for her first bird. She was REALLY pumped to go but she is a heck of a softball player and spring league is going on this time of year so it didn't work, I told her she can turkey hunt the rest of her life!

[ QUOTE ]
A quick question for those of you who have taken youths in the past. Do you subject them to the long drawn out hours that turkey hunting can sometimes bring (especially if the weather turns bad or the birds just aren't cooperating). I know for myself once I hit the woods it is hard to get me out of there but I can't imagine to many kids at the age of 12 being able to hold interest for that long. Just wanted to get some input.

Kratz

[/ QUOTE ]
If you want to spoil a kid for hunting or fishing...force them to stay and be bored out of thier mind! Bad idea for sure. I was a kid once and it's a whole lot different being a young teen then the old fart I am now
grin.gif

If they are having fun, staying interested and seeing/hearing game...then all is well. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to tell when it's time to pack it in and try another day. My son is getting better every year but paitence takes time to develop...so far he's always excited about going deer or turkey hunting
smile.gif

Same thing when you take them fishing...they don't care about a big bass or walleye...they just want to catch fish...any fish!
Snacks and drinks are a big plus (maybe that's why my kid where's size 13 shoes
smirk.gif
)
and don't forget the camera...this is my son with his first turkey last spring
waytogo.gif

771Jesse_s_1st_turkey_05-med.jpg

Congrats on your first bird kiddo! I am 6'4" and wear 13's. That is a nice bird and some big boots. Keep up the good work. Can't wait for friday morning.

I'm taking my 12yr old cousin out tomorrow. My unle said he was so excited
he couldn't sleep last night.
grin.gif
I really hope i can call in his first bird!

Top Bottom