Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Youth Season

risto2351

For all of you taking youngsters youth hunting what will their weapon of
choice be?

I have a youth 20 ga. that my daughter and son both have
been using for turkey hunting but have been thinking about using the muzzleloader.

Good luck and thank you for the feedback.

I have an 870 compact. If we have to use the muzzleloader later we can, but the 870 fits them better.

My kids have always used a 45 cal. omega mloader. When they first started at 6 and 8 we just used 1 50 gr.pellet but now they use 2.

My son and daughter have killed all their deer with my trusty old 50 cal Knight Disc. Still a tack driver after a bunch of seasons.

Hunter (12) will graduate to his bow this season, but may wait till the regular archery season and hunt youth with the ML.

NWBuck

Will be taking my cousin's son out for his first deer hunt and he will be shooting a Knight .50 cal muzzy. Shot with him this past weekend and he can handle it pretty good.

For those of you using a muzzy how many grains will you be using?

Thanks for all the information.

My 11 YR old uses a 60 GR load of Blackhorn 209 and a 260 GR Harvester Scorpion. Great performance and accuracy out to 100 yds with a mild recoil.

For those of you using a muzzy how many grains will you be using?

I always let them practice 50 grains and then load 100 when I sight it in and when they hunt. They never feel the difference at the moment of truth. I have heard of several people who scared their kids away by having them shoot too large of loads when practicing.

My kids will be using a .45 cal Rossi Mini muzzleloader and a Diamond Razor Edge during bow season.:way:

I always let them practice 50 grains and then load 100 when I sight it in and when they hunt. They never feel the difference at the moment of truth. I have heard of several people who scared their kids away by having them shoot too large of loads when practicing.

My kids will be using a .45 cal Rossi Mini muzzleloader and a Diamond Razor Edge during bow season.:way:

Understand but when they practice with 50gr. you must not be to critical on accuracy I assume it drops a little with the 50 gr.? Or is it so small a difference that you do not worry about it?

Thanks for the response.

Last edited:
He will be shooting 100gr of pellets. He's 12 and is big for his age. He is already close to my height and wears size 11 shoes. Kid is going to be a beast in a few years. He has been shooting 100gr without a problem.

I <3 my Diamond Razors Edge.

Understand but when they practice with 50gr. you must not be to critical on accuracy I assume it drops a little with the 50 gr.? Or is it so small a difference that you do not worry about it?

Thanks for the response.

I have found very little difference in impact, if any (with our gun). The kids usually practice out to 50-60 yards and I have shot it at 80 yards with little noticable difference.

Good luck!

whats a Rossi mini loader

They are hard to come by. I know of a few who had to do some searching to find them. Instead of the normal youth gun with a shortened stock but normal, heavy front end, they are simply downsized in to a much smaller version of the gun. They fit the kids well and they can hold it up on their own. Trenton was 6 in the photo below (although a fairly big 6 year old).

1040-1st_gun.jpg

When I bought for the kids there was an option of the gun with 2 additional barrels (shotgun, muzzleloader, and .22 cal). I would have gone with that option if I didn't already have the shotgun and rifle.

I would suggest contacting Rossi for details on where to find them.:way:

Knight 50cal. using 5o grain of 777 pushing a Barnes Spitfire 245, deadly deadly deadly. I only let them shoot 50 gr on account I dont wont them to develop the dreaded flinch do to a heavier recoil. We use shooting sticks so they can support the weight of the gun and my oldest has killed 3 deer with this setup 2 does and 1 nice ten pointer. The oldest is now 9 and the #2 son is going this year, he is 7. My words of advice is start off with small loads with younger kids and keep the shots close to build confidence in themselves. To big of a gun with a heavy load will discourage most kids from hunting or shooting, Hell it even discourages a lot of adults.

Use the muzz and stuff er full! Practice with a scoped 22/ or smaller caliber. just make sure the muzz fits. When practicing with the muzz, the kids have it on the lead sled.

Top Bottom