Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Youth Season

H

huntinrn

I always viewed youth season as a time for a hunter to take a younger person out to introduce them to hunting and teach them ethics and safety. I will never forget the time that my daughter, Shawn, who was 12 at the time, got a doe during youth season. It was one of the happiest days of our lives as my husband and I both hunt. Shawn was just as pleased. To me, that was just as much of a trophy as the Albia buck.

You aren't alone feeling that way. Congrats on being a hunting family. Any deer taken by one's child is and allways will be a great tropy.

I agree 100%. This year, when I was hunting with my son, Taylor, he decided to pass on a couple does our first time out. He had taken his first doe in December during late muzzleloader season, and was hoping for a buck of any size. Those two deer bedded down about 60 yards away for awhile. When they got up and left, we spotted a buck. We couldn't get to him before dark, but Taylor turned to me, and said, "Man, I'm shaking, and it's not because I'm cold. We need to hunt together a LOT this year". I don't think I could have a better hunting partner. Last Sunday, he did take a doe at last light, and was very excited and proud . . but not as much as his dad.

Something else that has impacted him has been the adults around us who hunt. In December, we were able to hunt with Cal Eldred, who pitches for the St. Louis Cardinals. The neat thing was that he just wanted to talk hunting, and he treated my son like he was the star. Five minutes after Cal went by the stand we were in, and before he even got to his stand, some deer rushed in, and Taylor was able to shoot his first deer. He will never forget when Cal came back to the truck at dark, and told Taylor to drop the tailgate and show him what he had shot. You would have thought it was a world record buck, instead of a large doe.

A person doesn't have to be a celebrity to impact a kid. Respect them, encourage them, and let them know they are important. I know the impact goes way beyond hunting season. Taylor is now a diehard Cardinals fan, but he is also just chomping at the bit to hunt with Cal again this year. And you can bet baseball won't be the center of discussion. I love it when people are humble enough to use their status to impact others. Any of you reading this should know that you can make a big difference in the life of a kid. If hunting is the way to do that . . . then do it. You will never regret it.

Thanks for your thoughts, Shovel and Camo. Congratulations to Taylor, too.

Unfortunately, my daughter, Shawn, did not continue to hunt. She is off at college now and seldom makes it home on the weekends as she is busy studying a lot. Our daughter, Amanda, however, has been shooting her bow faithfully everyday and when my husband gets back from muzzleloading in Burlington, he is going to take her out. She is an excellent archer and is anxiously waiting for dad to get home to take her out (she is 16 and too old for youth season). I could take her out, but work isn't permitting that right now and then I am heading to Burlington myself for early muzzleloader. I just hope that she sticks with it as bowhunting is one of the greatest sources of entertainment a person can have, with our without a deer. I am so happy I hounded my husband to get me a bow years ago as I don't know who is gone more -- he or I. We also have such good times talking about our experiences and he has such good times telling everybody about my mess ups (nailed a tree last weekend -- LOL). But more than anything, having at least one of our three daughters involved in bowhunting would make him the happiest man in the world, moreso than an addicted wife.

Good luck to you and your children & hunt safe!

Top Bottom