Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Youth tags?

I

IowaBuckSlayer2013

Is it normal for a youth to be able to pick up two statewide tags? One is for youth bow and then the other is for normal bow season. I never knew that was possible! So that being said would you also get a statewide for shotgun as well?

The youth tag is an additional or "bonus" tag to any other tag that is available to them normally.

Awesome thanks. I was wondering. Just got my nephew his tags as he just completed the field day this weekend and is now ready to hunt. Next course I am making him take with me is the bow hunters course so we can hunt south Dakota next year for antelope.

Get Landowner Youth (If it's an option) and Regular Youth then get your any-sex Muzzleloader and any-sex bow. 4 Any-Sex tags are available as a youth.

Is it normal for a youth to be able to pick up two statewide tags? One is for youth bow and then the other is for normal bow season. I never knew that was possible! So that being said would you also get a statewide for shotgun as well?

Their isn't a "Youth Bow" tag. You can use a bow during the youth season, but will not be allowed to tag a deer with that tag during archery season. This is directly copied from the 2015-2016 Iowa DNR Hunting Regulations Book

Unfilled Youth Tag
Youth hunters with a General deer license who do not take a deer during the youth deer hunting season may use the General deer license and unused tag during the early or late muzzleloader and one of the two shotgun seasons ONLY.

So he can get a Statewide Bow, Statewide Early/Late Muzzy or one of the 2 shotgun seasons, and then get a youth season tag. If the the youth season tag does not get used during youth season, he can use it for the seasons listed above.

We use this for my brother every year and its very nice to be able to use the youth tag in any other gun season to help increase their odds of getting a deer.

Hope this helps! You can pick up a copy of the regulations I know for sure at Gander Mountain and there are probably many other places also.

Happy Hunting!

Their isn't a "Youth Bow" tag. You can use a bow during the youth season, but will not be allowed to tag a deer with that tag during archery season. This is directly copied from the 2015-2016 Iowa DNR Hunting Regulations Book

Unfilled Youth Tag
Youth hunters with a General deer license who do not take a deer during the youth deer hunting season may use the General deer license and unused tag during the early or late muzzleloader and one of the two shotgun seasons ONLY.

So he can get a Statewide Bow, Statewide Early/Late Muzzy or one of the 2 shotgun seasons, and then get a youth season tag. If the the youth season tag does not get used during youth season, he can use it for the seasons listed above.

We use this for my brother every year and its very nice to be able to use the youth tag in any other gun season to help increase their odds of getting a deer.

Hope this helps! You can pick up a copy of the regulations I know for sure at Gander Mountain and there are probably many other places also.

Happy Hunting!

Then why do I have right here in front of me 2 state wide bow tags one says youth one don't!

Don't use the Youth Tag during Bow Season, you can't do that.

They both say archery one says youth from Sept 19 thru Oct 9 the other says Oct 1 thru then end of season both archery statewide. I to looked twice.

But I know the Youth Tag is only good till the 9th of October.

A Youth can also hunt by themselves if they purchase a hunting license and have passed Hunters safety course.

No they cannot, must always be with a licensed adult. I was told this many times and by CO's, trust me being the kid of a farmer and Dad being in the field vs hunting in late September with me didn't work out all the time so I couldn't go alone and had to work around Dad's schedule and most of the time only got to hunt Sunday. You have to be within a range of where the person can hear you and not yell is what I've been told.

Actually i'm pretty sure they can as long as they competed hunters safety, are 12 years of age and purchase all required licenses. I was able to hunt when I was fourteen without adult supervision.

Actually i'm pretty sure they can as long as they competed hunters safety, are 12 years of age and purchase all required licenses. I was able to hunt when I was fourteen without adult supervision.

I don't know, I thought during youth we couldn't but during regular season we could. Anybody able to clarify?

Last edited:
I don't know, I thought during youth we couldn't but during regular season we could. Anybody able to clarify?

That sounds right for hunting alone. I saw in the regs that if you were born after a certain date you needed to be hunter ed certified to buy a hunting license, but didn't know if that applied to a youth deer tag since the youth doesn't require a general hunting license.

Page 26 of the online regs: Youth Deer Season. Iowa residents that
are younger than 16 years old on the day they
obtain a license are eligible for the Youth Season
subject to the following restrictions:
While hunting, youth hunters must be under
the direct supervision of an adult mentor
who has a valid Hunting License and has
paid the Habitat Fee, if the adult is normally
required to have them to hunt.
Only one
youth hunter may accompany each adult
mentor.