Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

You've got to be kidding me!!!

glasgowm

http://www.wibw.com/home/headlines/...Big-Deer-168142126.html#.UEDx6inOxz0.facebook

Topeka man Sentenced For Poaching Big Deer

poached+buck.jpg

;lid=wibw160a;sz=1x1;ord=7840788

TOPEKA, Kan. (AP) _ A Topeka man will serve 15 consecutive weekends in jail for killing a whitetail buck that would have set a state record if it had been hunted legally.
David Kent was sentenced Thursday to 30 days in jail, to be served on weekends, and $1,500 in fines. He also was ordered to pay $8,000 in restitution to the landowner in Osage County where he shot the deer in November 2011. He also lost his hunting privileges for five years.
The Topeka Capital-Journal reports Kent claimed he shot the 14-point buck in Nemaha County while legally hunting during the firearm deer season. He was arrested after wildlife agents compared the deer's antlers to a photo that showed the buck was alive in the fall in Osage County.

15 weekends of jail time?!?!?!?!? We all know the loss of hunting privileges won't matter to a poacher. Makes me sick!!

Matthew

As it is a shame that the scum poached it. Nothing drives me more nuts then to watch someone creeping down the gravel at night with a spot light shining out into my fields. I know it is legal but i know what goes on later on when no one is watching.

I wish all states would take after Ohio's penalty system. That deer would've probably cost him at least 15k in OH. What a shame.

He also was ordered to pay $8,000 in restitution to the landowner in Osage County where he shot the deer in November 2011.
Matthew

This part of the penalty is interesting. It seems to suggest that the buck was "owned" by the landowner. What happens in KS when a trespasser takes sheds...

I believe in Iowa all fines go to the State.

It's a shame that buck won't ever get the credit it deserves. Also a shame that that a hole didn't get Jack squat for a penalty. The 10,000+ in fines and restitution is what people like these deserve. 5 years of no hunting, what about barred until he proves he is remorseful. This crap makes me sick. So sad I have to eat my tags every year and this guy doesn't have the decency to buy tags or stick to his limit. B.S. and I'm taking it to the bank.!!!!! Grrrrrr

Tough crowd in here, I thought 15 weekends in jail and 10,000 in fines was a pretty high price to pay for stealing a deer from the state. I bet he would've gotten a lot less for stealing a car. I don't think the sentence was to strong but I don't think it was to little either.

I thought the fines were on the measurements of the horns? I don't like how the 8k is going to the landowner, like someone said above it looks like the landowner owns the deer.

Last edited:
  • Deleted by N/A
Show…
It does not matter if it was a state record or a doe, this guys is a piece of sh!t period. We had a guy shot a hugh 8 point from the dirt road on to the ground we had permission to hunt and we were hunting there at the time. DNR did there investigation and the only thing they did was take the deer and mount it and place it down at the nature lodge south of Indianola.

They did not care that the deer had three holes and was bedding down when the tool shot him once from the road. The two young boys in our group had hit the deer twice and we were just waiting to go look for him.
The size of the horns shouldnt matter and the fines should have been bigger.

The reasons the fines were not higher is because in Kansas a rack has to have a minimum 17" inside spread. This deer is very narrow and did not meet the requirement written into the law to qualify as a trophy. Therefore the trophy penalties were not assessed. I believe the landowner was compensated by the county judge because of lost revenue had he charges for hunting on his property. Most likely a way for the judge to use his discretion to hit him a little harder.

2-3 years ago this same guy and his brother were road hunting and his brother shot into a group of Canada goose decoys thinking they were real geese and killed an 18 year old boy who was under the shell decoy. His brother is still in jail over that and this guy was never charged as an accomplice to manslaughter. Now this, which is really a slap on the wrist. In the old days they would have also confiscated his vehicle. The only reason he was caught is because he took the rack to the Big Buck expo to win prizes. What a piece of sh*t!!!!

Elvis

Top Bottom