Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Zone 5 Hunting

T

tk582

Hello,
I am new here and have question to ask. I am coming ti Iowa in 2 weeks to hunt in Zone 5 with J and S Trophy hunts. I believe it is in Appanoose County. I was wondering how the hunting is there? All I hear on the east coast is that Iowa is the place to go. The reading secures that point. I am realling looking foward to hunting in the mid west. Any help will be great. Thanks Again and Good Luck,

According to their website photos you have alot to look forward to.

According to my observations of hunting private land in SC Iowa (which isn't purposely managed for trophy deer)....you won't be disappointed....I promise.
waytogo.gif

I hunt near Appanoose county and trust me, you'll have a great experience and see some of the biggest bucks of your life. It's IOWA, it doesn't matter where you are at! You will have the oppurtunity to harvest a true monster anywhere in the state pretty much. Looks like you will also be here at one of the best times of the year (beginning of November), so I'm sure you'll have a great time with plenty of memories to share with family and friends back home. Don't forget to keep us posted on how your hunt turns out and the experience you had here in Iowa.

I have drove around J&S thinking I would see some hogs out in the fields. I saw a few 130s but nothing big, they must have foodplots elsewhere
cool.gif

I will keep you posted. I really think the biggest buck I have ever seen in the woods was about a 120 and my father shot it about a hour afte I saw it. I have been doing alot of looking in magazines and web sites field judging bucks.I am nervous that I may jump the gun and think one is big and it really isn't. Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it.

Just from my experiences with an Outfitter in IL....most guys from out east that harvest go home with deer under 125 inches. (at his place, it cost a hunter $100 per inch under the 130 inch mark
grin.gif
)

If you see a mature buck going 150 or better, you will be doing extreemly well. Magazines and Shows tend to inflate the NR expectations on how numerous big bucks are around. Hunting in IA can be some of the best if the time is right and feel like the worst whaen it isn't.

As far as field judging.....If you have to size the deer up as he approaches to determine if he is a shooter...he probably isn't. If you see one that makes you loose control of yourself....might ought to take him. Don't get caught up in the score of deer...look for the mature animals. Some of the biggest deer I have seen mass wise and body size were a far cry from 160. Good luck and safe and happy hunting

Tk -- I have hunted extensively with Steve and know his properties and what kind of deer are there. Believe me in the fact that if yu are huntign in 2 weeks, you will be in the catbird seat, so to speak. I hunted that same period last year taking a 145" buck. We went 10 for 13 that week. I shot my buck the first morning and rode with Steve the rest of the week. We literally saw 15 B&C class bucks, all from the road. You will have a great hunt. I leave Saturday to hunt his new farm in Putnam County, MO as I was not forrtuante to draw the Iowa tag this year. Personally I think J&S is about as good as it gets for midwestern hunting. I have yet to find another outfitter tht I thought would provide a better opportunity or value for the dollars paid so for my hard earned cash, Steve gets it everytime I want to hunt whitetails in the midwest. Is that enoguh endorsement for you. I spent a week with Steve in September and he told me that he is expecting alot this year in Iowa with many huge bucks on the properties. Good luck, enjoy, and don't shoot the first 120" 2 1/2 year old that comes buy. As these guys say, to shoot a big one you have to let those 120's go.

Top Bottom